How often ????

Not the breed at all,it is about the individual dog within that individually bred litter.....
Every dog of every breed will get bored by an artificially laid track every day.
Some dogs progress at different speeds exactly the same as humans.

Now that post of mine will look out of place......
Cookingfat wrote before my post above that it is dependant on breed,some breeds have the zest for tracking every day-which is not correct......

Last edited:
Cervus I lay a track for Ria around once a fortnight now. When I first started training her she was twice a week and came on leaps and bounds .Like Wolfy says they start to get bored with that and its time as a dog man to recognise when to back off and let the dog cool for a while.Start off as Jagare says and see how your dog performs

Not the breed at all,it is about the individual dog within that individually bred litter.....
Every dog of every breed will get bored by an artificially laid track every day.
Some dogs progress at different speeds exactly the same as humans.

Now that post of mine will look out of place......
Cookingfat wrote before my post above that it is dependant on breed,some breeds have the zest for tracking every day-which is not correct......
You got that wrong George but never mind,
i deleted my post because I have no wish to get into a ****ing contest on how to train,
saying to completely different things can only be confusing to the person who asked.

No ****ing contest Tony at all.....its fact.
Try training ANY breed from ANY litter every day(as some recommend)-then you are setting your dog and yourself up for failure......
Davies post is 1000% correct.

Every dog is different-THERE ARE ZERO HARD AND FAST RULES-even within breeds-to say otherwise shows a complete lack of understanding of dogs and "track training",training a dog to track is not hard,it is made much harder when people who do not know how to train are giving out advice-at cost of course,we at UKSHA give free advice to all,including members of UKDTR,certain dogs within the fold were trained by us,so no ****ing contest-just cold hard fact......

No confusion whatsoever to people Tony,perhaps you are confused......
Jagare and 6pointer have covered all bases.
So no confusion there at all mannie.

Dogs are like people, some get bored quicker than others. Its knowing your individual dog and training it accordingly in my opinion. Todd will be 9 in March, never had him hip or eye scored. Too late now anyway and if there was anything wrong with him it would have manifested itself by now.

todd with hind 1.jpgtodd.jpg

Here he is this past October on a red hind that had been shot in the guts (twice) which then ran into thick planted forestry. Without Todd it would have been lost that's for sure. And on the right as a puppy just after I bought him home............where did the last 9 years go!!!

Scary how time flies Malcolm.
You've been lucky with Todd,a good dog I'm sure who has done the job for you.....
I know many others with problems that did manifest themselves-epilepsy,heart problems,hip and eye problems and also skin disorders.
Also hip and eye problems can show later in life-as with us humans also......the hips and eyes are required for breeding really-has Todd had a litter?
If any related dogs of Todd had epilepsy in their lines-very irresponsible to breed but as I know you are a responsible deer stalker Malcolm you will have done the correct thing either way:thumb:
Well done on the hind as well:thumb:

How is you bitch coming on Malc and will you get another when Todd slows down that is normally the mark of a good dog and breed.
Also would you train him different or do again what you did.

I did many things when I first got tilly that I certainly wouldn't do again davie, some that people who were supposed to be the experts at the time advised and some c-ck ups that were nobody's fault but my own, so I'll definitely be doing things differently in a few years time when I need another stalking dog.
But right now my pot licker does 99% of what I need and I'm not the kind of guy who gets shut of a dog just because I fancy something else.
Regards
Jimmy

Thats a lovely dog there sikamalc.
Thinking back to when my bitch was six months old, she did get bored with retrieves. We rough shoot with her as well. I don't want to turn her off the tracking shoe training. I stopped retrieve training for a few months. Then she started dragging everything in the house, delivering to hand. So yes I had to read the signs, body language of her. Maybe I have answered my question but I am inexperienced. A constructive debate will be helpful to me from people who are experienced in being successful and unsuccessful too.
On a tracking note, she did track hare and fox and live deer before I used the tracking shoes.About a year ago I laid a short blood trail with sheep blood which was fresh and she took no notice.
I was talking to the chap from Trudvang gwp kennel on a forum before and he reckoned that a dog that's used to tracking live game scent can do poorly on blood trails. This is also confirmed in a book I bought a year ago. Titled, Working with dogs for deer, by Neils Sondergaard

I was very unsure what the result would be with the shoes. I think she did a great job. The track was walked out by my son with no blood used. He handled her as well and he has less experience than myself. She had smelled those cleaves back in September when I shot the buck. She had not smelled them since the trail was walked out.
By her body language at the end I think she was still looking for a deer as she was not interested in the dummy wrapped in deer hide, which is not from the deer that was shot. Vid is on youtube. booleyhills71
I was going to do a fox drag to keep her interested followed by a another deer track with the shoes.She has only ever been on the harness and long lead twice. I plan to keep the trails short for now so she has a better chance of ending a trail successfuly each time, although letting the trail get older and more difficult. Any suggestions ???

My eldest lab will easily cope with doing a track everyday of the week
takes it in her stride now
the advice I was given when training her was based on once a week max and no live tracks
which I feel has held her and us back
Tracking was all she desires fore
so possibly ruined a good dog
still a good dog but not as great as she could of been
and I realised from an early age she was better than some of the advice given

my other lab will do as many tracks a day as you throw at him
he never seems to get bored of tracking
but he is a lab and luvs the challenge to get to the reward
each dog to their own..each training method has it's own merits ..
Not going to tell you how to train your dog
but happy to share the experiences I have in the training of mine

I am not breeding the bitch we have as she came form a broken home. We got here at 9 months of age and she was in a hell of a state. It took 6 weeks to put the weight back on her and also her tail was so infected that we had to have it docked in the end otherwise we would have lost the dog.

In theory she is Sandra's dog and with all the changes and moving home over the past 3 years we have not been inclined to breed or find the time to have a litter of pups. Todd is a one off dog, (like all our dogs) and there will never be another like him in my eyes. Therefore I have decided to see him through to the end, and then maybe replace him with another pup. But time will tell I am in no rush and am so busy at the moment that I have not given it any further thought.

One thing is for sure, when I do loose him it will really break my heart in pieces.

I didn't train my dog.......... She trained me.......

Here she is blanking me for being silly....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 47
Back