Thread: CCI segmented HP Subsonic 22LR 40 grain

CCI segmented HP Subsonic 22LR 40 grain

Bought a box of these triple segmented bullets to try
    out of curiosity.
    Anyone ever used them,
    just wondered how they perform

so far only shot two squirrels with them,

Hi Bob,
    They do basically what it says on the tin, break up into 3 segments. I've used them on bunnies and caged foxes and they've always performed. You do get the occasional "popper" but that's the norm with subsonic across the board. Cost is the deciding factor but where you've got tight borders and cannot afford that "whheeeee" noise and possible boundary incursions, 13.3 grain bullet-ettes will land sooner (shorter range) than 40. I've found them as accurate as CCI SS HP's so no concerns there. The segmented issue can be an issue if you are shooting for the pot. I find that segments can turn at right angles in a sub 50 yard bunny sideways on and come out of it's backside, tainting the best bit. That's even with head shots. I've also seen the segments going downwards & upwards. There is very little "predictable manner" with them but there's no doubting the increased safety and a good step towards frangible 22LR.

Now the only .22LR I use. They are very efficient and in my own rifles (a B/A Mauser 201 and a S/A CMMG) they have worked with very, very few faults.
    I have had three - four misfeeds (my ramps more likely) and one misfire in over 2000 rounds. They are not the cheapest, but neither are they expensive.
    I generally agree with Orvil, they expand and separate very quickly.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

I hated them. I would never know if the round would go supersonic or not. About 60% of them did and hit a few inches higher than the subsonic ones!

I took the unopened boxes back to the shop, maybe I got a bad batch?
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

I've shot a few thousand of em now and don't use anything else, had one flyer in that time, that put a hole in my transit connect that was parked 30 yds away to my right and over forty yards behind or in front ( my side) of the rabbit I shot, a segment managed to turn back and hit the van in the corner and punched a perfect circle in the metal and stayed put. Much to the amusement of my mate 😃 who always seems to remember the incident very very regularly 😞. Apart from that accuracy had always been good, the price definitely isn't, but one flyer in that amount of ammo used, I can live with that, pretty sure if I was using a hp at a slower speed it would be a lot more bouncers to worry about
    atb

phil

I found them to shoot very odd groups and kept getting the odd 1 well off target. I tried several times no good. The only thing i shot was a fox around 60 yards and it made a good mess of it. Thats the only goid thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Orvil View Post
    Hi Bob,
    They do basically what it says on the tin, break up into 3 segments. I've used them on bunnies and caged foxes and they've always performed. You do get the occasional "popper" but that's the norm with subsonic across the board. Cost is the deciding factor but where you've got tight borders and cannot afford that "whheeeee" noise and possible boundary incursions, 13.3 grain bullet-ettes will land sooner (shorter range) than 40. I've found them as accurate as CCI SS HP's so no concerns there. The segmented issue can be an issue if you are shooting for the pot. I find that segments can turn at right angles in a sub 50 yard bunny sideways on and come out of it's backside, tainting the best bit. That's even with head shots. I've also seen the segments going downwards & upwards. There is very little "predictable manner" with them but there's no doubting the increased safety and a good step towards frangible 22LR.
    What he said.

Plus they group like nothing else through my rifle.

Not accurate out of any .22 I've had and make a loud bang every time. Avoid.
    Those who can, do it. Those who can't, teach it.

I used these in a henry lever action for 5 mins, the problem I had was the bullet flew apart as it left the muzzle 6 times out of 10! Very inaccurate due to this problem as im sure you can understand. Went back to STD cci subs and had excellent result. My advice from my personal experience is stay well away from them!

It would seem that some rifles like them and some don't.

Fortunately, they shoot very well from my Anschutz XIV and SGC V22.

I use them on any jobs with an increased ricochet risk and when a particular situation makes a .22LR the only viable solution to problem foxes. In both such instances I have been entirely satisfied with their performance (I would use nothing else for foxes now).

In other contexts I use regular Winchester subsonic hollow-points as they cost less and are slightly more accurate. I find there is no need to adjust zero.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay