Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rta ?

Rta ?

While traveling along a busy A road at about 7.15 thursday morning a fallow crossed the road some way off in front so I slowed down in case another followed it , sure enough another crossed so i slowed a bit more and i could see another lay on the verge with its head in the road , as i came to it i noticed its front leg kicking so i pulled up and thought i would help her on her way with a knife i had on me . I dragged her on to the verge and noticed what looked like an exit wound behind her front leg , so i rolled her over and there it was , an entrence wound the other side ! Now , Im no CSI but it looked like a good heart shot to me and i dont think it would have run straight through the belt of trees on the road side and when i passed the other way later in the day there it was , gone .

So it hadn't been hit, more importantly you didn't hit it, so can you take it ?

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    So it hadn't been hit, more importantly you didn't hit it, so can you take it ?

Neil.
    No ... I would suggest not, it does not belong to you, it belongs to the landowner .... presumably Highways or local council whose responsibility it is to dispose of it.

Phone it in to the police 101 as it could cause an accident by people stopping to look at it or to try and offer it help.

I wouldn't leave it to the police if it was suffering...it doesn't take long to put it out of its misery

Quote Originally Posted by HunterMoore View Post
    No ... I would suggest not, it does not belong to you, it belongs to the landowner .... presumably Highways or local council whose responsibility it is to dispose of it.

Phone it in to the police 101 as it could cause an accident by people stopping to look at it or to try and offer it help.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    I wouldn't leave it to the police if it was suffering...it doesn't take long to put it out of its misery
    I don't doubt you could .... the correct protocol would be to phone in it ..... and then if the police wanted you to take action then you have permission to do so.

If you are operating in a remote location then I could see why you would be tempted .... but you could be injured yourself, or cause an accident ..... that's why you phone it in .... there may well be a HAD team on call close by?

Fair enough. It's a personal call to make. I just wouldn't want it to suffer any longer than necessary.

yes - I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterMoore View Post
    ...it belongs to the landowner ...
    Surely whilst it's alive it doesn't belong to anyone?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

OP did the decent thing and then left the dead animal on the land. It then became the property of the Local Authority, as per "the Law".

OP didn't thieve it.

Said property of the Local Authority was then removed by ?

What's the problem?

This is how Deer Management Group RTA schemes operate, only they have a Police incident number first and then have Police call relevant Local Authority to collect, eventually.....

Stan