Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: your thoughts

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries

Cool your thoughts

I have had to send my weatherby off to Mike at Brock and Norris and heard back from him today that the rifle is sorted.
    Cut a long story short, I bought it off Ross on here, but it wasn't screw cut, so I did some research and found someone to do it. Since the screw cut was done, the rifle has been a pig, I started to fail my dsc1 shooting assessment and tbh was a bit embarrassed on the day (thankfully this was resolved with the estate rifle).

Mike has basically sorted the trigger, but has also recrowned the barrel as this was never done and in fact the screw cutting had seriously affected the accuracy of the rifle, meaning it would never fire true in its previous state.

Is the gunsmith at fault here? Should the recrown be done at the same time as the screw cutting?

I would like to thank Mike for doing the work properly and I can't wait to test and zero on Wednesday. I have a target from my last zero attempt and I'll show a comparison after Wednesday.

Joe if I am guessing correct as to who threaded the rifle for you in the first place all I will say is that you took the rifle to a RFD and not a gunsmith. Too many RFDs think it is a quick and easy job to thread a barrel for a moderator and don't really know what they are doing. At least it should be properly sorted now after Mr Norris has dealt with it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ahhh Mike, on this occasion I didn't go where you think I did. I made a trip in my car up the m5. I know what to do in the future though! Still I would have thought a gunsmith would do the necessary and ensure the rifle was fit to shoot before it leaving the workshop.
    Last edited by joed; 07-12-2014 at 10:15.

You should not have to recrown the barrel when getting it screw cut but you will have to if you are having the barrel shortened.
    It looks like the person who threaded it messed up the crown in the process.

That is my thought also.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Assuming the rifle shot well before threading, the odds are that the eejut that screw cut it stuck a centre in the muzzle to centre it, damaging the crown. - Very bad practice!
    Mike will have checked the concentricity of the thread (he is consciencious & thorough like that), inspected the crown, saw it was damaged & recut it. Along with the trigger job I'm sure the OP will be happy with the result. Mike does fine quality work.

Ian
    Last edited by Yorric; 07-12-2014 at 12:33.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Intially, I thought it was just the trigger that was needing reworking, but just speaking to Mike on the phone he suggested that the crown was probably damaged during the screw cutting and how right he was.

Well it is a shame a guy with a decent rep has done a bad job, but I'm glad I've got a proper job done now

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Assuming the rifle shot well before threading, the odds are that the eejut that screw cut it stuck a centre in the muzzle to centre it, damaging the crown. - Very bad practice!
    Mike will have checked the concentricity of the thread (he is consciencious & thorough like that), inspected the crown, saw it was damaged & recut it. Along with the trigger job I'm sure the OP will be happy with the result. Mike does fine quality work.

Ian
    Have you watched Mike screw cut a barrel in person, or on video ?

Mike turns out a good thread, but he doesn't do it without messing the original crown up.

Neil.

It's time that the first guy's rep was put right by the sound of things. Ask for your money back & maybe name him if he won't refund - you shouldn't suffer the shame he should! Get the shot targets to prove it was badly done & confront him.

Ian

Neil yes I have seen Mike at work in the flesh & he was meticulous. -- Have you had bad experience with his work?

Ian