Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 204

Ruger 204

Anybody have or had much to do with the above calibre..? Sounds like an awesome tool...currently shoot most vermin with the 223 but after looking at the 204 I think it could be the mutts nuts...

I've had a tikka varmint for 18mnths or so.

Superb calibre very, very accurate, buckles the wind surprisingly very well and an excellent calibre. Nice to reload for as well and uses little powder. Mine groups just over 1" at 300 yards and drops 3" at 1" high at 100.

best bit is I see 95% of hits with no recoil.

downsides...

- not deer legal
    - you can't reach factory speeds with home loads

i use mine for foxing and have yet to have a runner with everyone dropping on the spot, longest shot being 240 yards at night. No good on rabbits if you want to eat them lol... I'm about to sell my tikka to swap for a sako, did think about a 22-250 for the same job but the 204 is a peach to shoot.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I run a snobbier 204 called a 20 tactical.

same job just with a tad less powder, easy to load for shoots better than I will ever do, taken bunnies out to silly ranges with it, best fox was 365 yards with a member of this very forum sat next to me when I took the shot.
    I have run the rifle on top loads but not hot and it out performs many rifles I have had in the past,

its a sako s491 from the older sako small bore calibres and the action is flawless and is as smooth as you would want it to be.

would never have a 22,250 in a million years, I have seen most bullet strikes on target with this wee rifle no recoil to talk of and as said above like the rest of the 20 cals, they do just fine.

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Foxyrich, why can't you get factory speeds with home loads? Seems odd to me

Quote Originally Posted by minikeeper View Post
    Foxyrich, why can't you get factory speeds with home loads? Seems odd to me
    Hornady quote a speed of 3900 fps for their 40 grain vmax load but I have chronographed this ammo and got speeds of around 3750 and thats from a 26 inch barrel.
    My reloads for the 40 grain are around 3800 fps with no pressure signs.
    The cartridge does perform best with barrels from 24 to 26 inches.
    Velocity will be less with shorter barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Strath sniper View Post
    Anybody have or had much to do with the above calibre..? Sounds like an awesome tool...currently shoot most vermin with the 223 but after looking at the 204 I think it could be the mutts nuts...
    Don't change,unless you are looking to use the 32g bullets.If you are going down the better 39gr route for bc then jus shoot a 40gr bullet in your 223!!
    At foxing ranges or even longer range vermin shooting there is nothing in it.Some 1 in 8 223 barrels will shoot 40gr all the way upto maybe 75gr bullets which the 204 won't.
    Ive had both but still got the 223 which is much more versatile IMHO.
    Hope this helps
    dave

This is a post from another 204 thread by a very experienced user of both calibers with real world testing!!!

Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler
    The two rounds aren't really comparable, the 204 is much faster, flatter, and cuts the wind better than a 22/250, never mind a 223.

Mine is a rebarreled Sako S491, it is a fantastic tool.

Hi Brian.

I have got to disagree - I have owned several 223's that shoot a 40 grn Nosler at 3800 + fps (Bullet BC 0.220 ) - This is faster than alot of 204's with the same wieght bullet.

I have also owned two custom barrelled 204's ( excluding the Sako I sold you ) so have alot of experience using the 20 cal.

Both my 204's rifles would hit pressure signs at around 3800 fps ( ISH) but performed well at 3760 fps which is where they operated.

Another thing that is true, Some of the 20 cal bullets have BC's which are over stated by some way. For example, the true BC of the Vmax is closer to 0.240 ( NOT 0.275 ).

You only need to look at similarly shaped Nosler bullet who quote a true BC of 0.239 for their 40gr pill, to see the Hornady bullet BC is hyped up. (no doubt for marketing purposes )

The Sierra 39 grn BK has an average BC of 0.251 --- Before 24 hr Sniper starts prostrating violently ,,, This is the combined BC figure given by Sierra.

I have shot my 204's and my 223 side by side at 400 yrds many times and under different field conditions - Bullets drops and drift were virtually identical when the 223 zips a 40 grn

bullet at 3800 fps.

The 204 just edges it.. due to a SLIGHTLY better BC.-But not be much - This was one of the reasons that I decided to stick with the 223 and why you ended up with my new 204.

As far as a foxing round - ( IE out to 250 Yrds for 99% of the time ) .. both cals are excellent foxers , but the 223 using 50 to 60 grn bullets hits harder IME.

I have friends who are ardent fans of the 204 who will concede that the bigger 22 bullet hits harder and puts charlie down with more authority. ( in any event both kill fox easily)

A far as versitility there is only one winner - A standard 8 or 9 twist twist 223 that you can find on the shelves of any good gunshop , will allow the shooter to use a range of heavy

bullets, such as the 75 grn Amax that will reach out further and more accurately than any standard 204 could dream of. At the other end of the scale the 223 can launch a 30 grn

bullet at 4300 fps. Such is the versitility of this cal.

The 223 will have better barrel life and have a far wider choice of ammo. If you reload your own - The components are much easier to source and there are more choices.

All this and the 223 is also deer legal too

Over the weekend I was using my 223 to hit a 3.5 inch going at 515 yrds with boring regularity I am not saying the 223 is a better round - but it does have lots of advatages and

can hold its own in the field.

Kindest regards
    Alan
    Last edited by plonker; 07-12-2014 at 14:39.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    http://www.6mmbr.com/20Caliber.html

have a read on it then compare the results for your self,

I have done so and I am happy with my 20 tac, I had 2 223 over the years and as said it has its place.

then again so does the 17hmr, but I am selling that too

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Attachment 50031
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    http://www.6mmbr.com/20Caliber.html

have a read on it then compare the results for your self,

I have done so and I am happy with my 20 tac, I had 2 223 over the years and as said it has its place.

then again so does the 17hmr, but I am selling that too

bob.
    Bob,as far as foxing,vermin rounds they are both excellent BUT, changing a 223 for a 204 will offer nothing in foxing/vermin terms.If someone owned neither and asked for a foxing/vermin round I would tell them either will do the job.But the original poster was looking to change from 223 to "the mutts nuts" 204r and IMHO changing will give him nothing in terms of foxing.
    If you fancy a 20cal go for it,I did.Did it kill foxes any better,nope just cost me more money
    The above picture was my final load development of my 204 so you can see it was a shooter!
    dave
    Last edited by plonker; 07-12-2014 at 16:32.

I shoot both, the 204 and the .223. My .223 is a custom that is painfully accurate. My 204 is a CZ American Varmint. It also is exceptionally accurate. To decide on which is best based on accuracy would be to split hairs: Both will shoot under half-MOA for 5 shots with it's top loads.

I like the 40 grain 204 bullets for their flat shooting and availability. No shortage. What I don't like is the sparse selection of brass and it's spotty supply.

I like the availability of .223 brass but lately the bullets have been hard to get.

So for me it's a coin toss. I would rather the 204 was a 20 Practical so that I could form brass from .223 cases. Then I'd have the best of both worlds.~Muir

(The 204 is a laser on prairiedogs though....Hmmmm)

Quote Originally Posted by Strath sniper View Post
    Have a read here too: .20 cal BC Heavy Plinkers - UK Varminting Regards JCS