Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodburner flue damper

Woodburner flue damper

Morning all,after seeing a few peoples wood burners in operation I have realised that I don't have the air controll that I should.Either I have a really good pull on my lined chimney or the controls don't quite restrict enough air.With all the valves closed I still have a fair amount of flames and have never had a fire smoulder with everything shut off.I don't want the fire to smoulder but would like to have it just ticking over at times so thought about getting a flue damper.
    Anyone have any experience of them and was also considering fitting myself.
    any advice welcome.
    cheers
    dave
    ps it's a firefox8 had it about 4 years.

Both my wood burners ( villager ) came with the damper on the back of the fires,

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    A flue damper does not slow the rate of burn. It only really slows the rate that the heat escapes.
    You need to check all the seals on your doors and see if they are really sealing. Also check to see how well your air shut offs close up.
    The idea to slow the rate of burn is to slow the amount of air it is getting to it and if you have a leaky stove then you can never slow the rate of burn.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

The log burner in my front room does not have a flue damper but I can put it out just by shutting the air controls on the front.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    The log burner in my front room does not have a flue damper but I can put it out just by shutting the air controls on the front.
    Same here, mine has "air wash" vents at the top front, I leave these open as it stops the glass from going black. A similar set of vents at the bottom front controls the rate of burn.
    Also it depends on what you burn, soft wood doesn't last as long as hard wood which doesn't last as long as coal.
    As said above check the seals and replace if need be
    Wingy

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    found this

Had the Classic 8 fitted in the kitchen with Twin Wall Chimney, only had 3 small fires to break it in, great to light and control by the secondary air, only burning wood sycamore between 15-20%, good heat for a small fire base. Had C/B 8 fitted in fireplace in lounge with liner in chimney, had first fire tonight, lit well got good fire started but when moving secondary air over to the left to cut the air supply still getting to much flame, good clean glass, just unable to reduce the fire base like I can on the Classic 8 same wood being used, would estimate the secondary air moves about the same on each fire. Any idea what is causing the C/B not to reduce air flow enough, fitted thermometer to chimney and as first burn only wanted small fire, reached 200c and was giving a lot of heat off which was good but burning the wood to quick.
    Stove expert replied: It could be that the draw on this flue is greater than the other flue and hence causing less controllability, you may wish to investigate if a damper will help. Defra Approved stoves will not shut down completely as they have been modified to allow a bleed of air at all times to keep the flue gases diluted and cleaner emissions for the smoke controlled areas..
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    found this

Had the Classic 8 fitted in the kitchen with Twin Wall Chimney, only had 3 small fires to break it in, great to light and control by the secondary air, only burning wood sycamore between 15-20%, good heat for a small fire base. Had C/B 8 fitted in fireplace in lounge with liner in chimney, had first fire tonight, lit well got good fire started but when moving secondary air over to the left to cut the air supply still getting to much flame, good clean glass, just unable to reduce the fire base like I can on the Classic 8 same wood being used, would estimate the secondary air moves about the same on each fire. Any idea what is causing the C/B not to reduce air flow enough, fitted thermometer to chimney and as first burn only wanted small fire, reached 200c and was giving a lot of heat off which was good but burning the wood to quick.
    Stove expert replied: It could be that the draw on this flue is greater than the other flue and hence causing less controllability, you may wish to investigate if a damper will help. Defra Approved stoves will not shut down completely as they have been modified to allow a bleed of air at all times to keep the flue gases diluted and cleaner emissions for the smoke controlled areas..
    Thanks for that Glynn,don't think mine is defa approved and having seen another one fitted firefox8 that will really dampen the fire if all valves are closed.The damper is to reduce the high draw on my chimney.

my fire is the same but will not close down like the one in the video.Replaced the door seal last year but the fire has been like it since new so I'm pointing the finger at the draw of the chimney?

try fitting a cowl it will help reduce the draw

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    try fitting a cowl it will help reduce the draw
    Got a cowl and rain thingymabobby howy
    Dave

my stove has a small plate on the back covering a series of small holes if yours has the same slacken this of and adjust so that you cover the holes leaving just a small gap