Holyrood Deer Control.

No real surprise there with SNH and the JMT. They will only be happy when we have very few deer left.

They see it as vermin control not deer control IMO more so with Red deer.

I agree Wallace SNH will love this and I am sure the JMT will not be employing many of there own stalkers it will be a fun for all from the public sector again.
Not sure were they get all there cash but it seems to go a long way.??

When I was young, if someone wanted to plant trees, they would fence of the ground. That's expensive. Deer and young trees are not a good mix, no-one would argue with that but SNH, RSPB and The John Muir Trust and the myriad of other tree-huggers would rather buy bullets..............in bulk ! I think the long term future for deer and private estates, certainly in The Highlands, is very grim indeed.

Agree there is the probability of a bad time coming what with the Land Reform Consultation and the SNH review of deer management due in 2016 - they are sowing the seeds already!!!

what next ,is snp going to bring in "collective" state farms and commisar,s for regional control.your communist goverment has already ignored the voice of the people and the police over airgun licensing .dont think they get nationalise the land away from private ownership and your in the doo-do.they seem to have it in for the private sporting estates that bring so much money and employment to rural scotland.is robert mugabe the new advisor on rural affairs to the snp

how can the snp want rates of land owners as vermin control does not come into the equation it was tried before on forestry companies but was thrown out as deer were being controlled as vermin as the tree damage , and control off deer were in the planting grants in black and white from the goverment

I feel that the writing is on the wall now for who can control deer in Scotland even on their own land.

There clearly is nothing that the megalomaniac SNP Scottish Government will not leave well alone or wade into if it protects their interests (land reform, firearms ownership).

There is a fairly chequered recent history in the methods used for the so called reinstatement of 'Caledonia' pine forests so the chances are that some people will make a lot of money over a short period of time unless the methods are changed after some, quite frankly, well deserved bad press in the past.

Last edited:
I feel that the writing is on the wall now for who can control deer in Scotland even on their own land. There clearly is nothing that the megalomaniac SNP Scottish Government will not leave well alone or wade into if it protects their interests (land reform, firearms ownership).

There is a fairly chequered recent history in the methods used for the so called reinstatement of 'Caledonia' pine forests so the chances are that some people will make a lot of money over a short period of time unless the methods are changed after some, quite frankly, deserved bad press in the past.

Can you elaborate ??

Marr Lodge is one that immediately springs to mind as its local to me and there was plenty in the news about it a few years ago.

Have a look back a few years about the for and against on tinterweb and you can make your own mind up.

Last edited:
Marr Lodge is one that immediately springs to mind as its local to me and there was plenty in the news about it a few years ago.

Have a look back a few years about the for and against on tinterweb and you can make your own mind up.

Hmm, seems "the powers that be" strike again, and it will happen again with this supposed land reforms. If big businesses, public figures and politicians can cover paedophile rings and financial scandals in the very heart of government, police and broadcasting centres do you really think they're going to let a few hippies and weird Scottish MP's steal their land ?

Back