Thread: Marlin 336 .30/30 problem

Marlin 336 .30/30 problem

Well after years of flawless service I've got a sticky problem with my Marlin 336 .30/30. It was made in 1955, pre safety button.

When cycling a fresh round the lever sticks at the end of it's full downward travel. After rattling the lever a bit it generally unsticks and loads a round. There appears to be no problem with the round being released from the magazine tube. I haven't taken it apart yet but that will be my next step, when I have the time!

Anybody got an idea what the problem might be please?

Hi
    not sure what the problem is but you could post a request on the Marlin owners club USA
    gundog

Have you stripped it to see what the problem is?
    Unfortunately they do wear, ask any of the gallery rifle boys they tend to have problems after only a year or so due to the large number of rounds they fire.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Go on marlin owners . Com, Larry and the boys will have the answer, and put you right if you need parts.

Cherck to see that the loading gate screw is tight, then drop the lower end out of the gun and make sure all is tight and clean. Then reassemble and try it. How many rounds do you have through it?~Muir

If it helps I have a 336 30-30 and can take it to bits and send pics of them to you.

hope it works out.

regards,
    Gixer

Thanks all.
    I'll take it apart next week. I don't put that many rounds through it and from when I bought it about 22 years ago probably not more than 2000 rounds. Is that a lot I don't know? Still accurate though and an old favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by The deer man View Post
    Thanks all.
    I'll take it apart next week. I don't put that many rounds through it and from when I bought it about 22 years ago probably not more than 2000 rounds. Is that a lot I don't know? Still accurate though and an old favorite.
    No nothing at all. It's the cycling of the action that generally causes the wear in these rifles rather than the amount of rounds fired, but as Muir said check the simple things first like the loading gate screw as these rifles have a slight habit of disassembly with screws often working loose. The guys who shoot such rifles a lot in gallery rifle events often locktite the loading gate screw and carry spare parts around with them in their shooting bags, but then they shoot more rounds through their rifles in a year than most other rifles will see in a lifetime.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.