Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess my weight...Wye Valley Boar

Guess my weight...Wye Valley Boar

I recently posted in the General section about a bit of ground that I have been asked to assess for deer in the south of the Wye Valley as the land owner is about to start some forestry work and Natural England wanted him to have plan in place. Needless to say I found little deer activity on the site but quite a lot of what looked like Boar trade.

So I set the trailcam up and this is one of the animals it caught. I am new to Boar, are they normally this big and what would a beast like that weigh in the larder? I put the pic of me and my pal in to give a sense of scale, particularly when you look at the vid you can see the Boars back is above our waste height and neither of us are small so it must be a really big boy, it makes the Fallow look small in comparison!
    I have set things up to hopefully shoot one next visit, though I am a bit worried as to whether I could handle a beast of this size!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	50025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	50026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	50027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0028.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	50028

ATB George

It looks like a avrage size male to me maybe 100-125kg its hard to judge size from a trail cam not knowing the area good luck on your long cold nights up a high seat waiting for those tasty beasts nothing better the home made boar burgers

Thanks B & D, I can't wait to bag one, they do look tasty! Think I may need to get another freezer.

Can anyone give me some tips on sitting up. There is a spot I can sit up 90yds from an open area adjacent to the bait station I have now set up , they have to cross this open ground and ride, I can bait this area before sitting up.
    Am I best waiting for full moon or just get the wind right and sit with night vision monocular and lamp?
    Is there a colour of lamp better than others? I have a LED light (Deere Light) with red and white leds. I read somewhere that thay can't see the green laser type lights.

Any help much appreciated

George
    Last edited by liongeorge; 08-12-2014 at 18:18.

If you put a light on them they will probably take off, and if you educate them in any way they will be harder to attract next time.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    Thanks B & D, I can't wait to bag one, they do look tasty! Think I may need to get another freezer.

Can anyone give me some tips on sitting up. There is a spot I can sit up 90yds from an open area adjacent to the bait station I have now set up , they have to cross this open ground and ride, I can bait this area before sitting up.
    Am I best waiting for full moon or just get the wind right and sit with night vision monocular and lamp?
    Is there a colour of lamp better than others? I have a LED light (Deere Light) with red and white leds. I read somewhere that thay can't see the green laser type lights.

Any help much appreciated

George
    I've got a green LED spotlamp on my hunting tower. The boar don't worry about it .I can have it on a low setting and turn up the light when the boar arrive and they take no notice.
    The spot light has a dusk dawn switch so is only on at night. Most lights sold here for lighting up boar feeding areas are green.

Thanks guys , am looking in to NV although it will be moonlit nights to start with.

Put your feed out . Next day check it if it's gone . If so feed again and put a camera up. Next day if it's gone feed up check your camera for feeding times and get in the seat an hour before. They are fairly punctual animals . I would use a red or amber filter if you don't have nv. Good luck! I like a big chop on the brai!!
    Atb steve

Thanks Steve, I am back up there the end of this week. Unfortunately I can only get up there every couple of weeks so have put feeders there with hopefully grub enough to keep them interested. Trail cams show regular but inconsistant visits. Hopefully they will have got a taste for the cornucopia of goodies I have left for them. The trailcam will tell.

If its safe enough to use why not use an automatic feeder with a mixture of maze and wheat set up underneath a 45 gall drum to feed once a certain time in the night that way you are feeding constantly without being there set up trial cam and check and what I mean by safe is that no other persons will be around to spoil your fun

ATB Paul D

This is an estimate but looking at the people in the photo against the tree for scale then comparing it to your pig I would suggest 200lb plus. I have shot a couple of this size and larger. I would suggest that you try and bait this closer to a vehicle access point. If it is large the closer to your vehicle the better!!

carrots & chicken corn feed work for me with lots of ground study/ work.