Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 loading issues

30-30 loading issues

I was trying to knock up my first batch of 30-30 reloads this morning and I cannot get the neck to resize enough to grip the bullet, I tried about 15 and got one that stayed in place! All the rest pushed into the case when I go to measure the length with the caliper.

i tried Remington, PPU and Winchester brass, all once fired and I am resizing them with a lee classic hand loader...

the bullets are Speer 150gr hot-cor (they are the usual 308 OD, although when I caliper them I get .305 or .306 max OD.)

am I missing something with 30-30???

Very frustrating as I have never had an issue with any of my lee loaders, I guess I need to try another bullet...

Regards,
    gixer

the cases are from your rifle ?

Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    the cases are from your rifle ?

Yes, all fired in my rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Yes, all fired in my rifle...
    Get a hold of Speer. Those bullets are very much undersized.~Muir

I troll some picks of the measurements (I also took a pic of measurements of a 223 and 9mm just for reference on the caliper)

one thought - it was a little cold in the garage when loading, would this small amount of shrinkage make enough difference to lower the neck tension enough to let the bullets slide in?

refards,
    Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    I troll some picks of the measurements (I also took a pic of measurements of a 223 and 9mm just for reference on the caliper)

one thought - it was a little cold in the garage when loading, would this small amount of shrinkage make enough difference to lower the neck tension enough to let the bullets slide in?

refards,
    Gixer
    Not really. Email those pics to Speer and get some different Flat Point bullets.
    The Lee Loader does very little sizing which is why you can get away with no lube. If you have bullets that are .002 and .003" undersized they will fall out.~Muir

Well I got hold of some Barnes bullets and also a few spitzer 30 cals and it appears the Speer bullets were undersized (below are some of the measurements for comparrison) I have sent speer a message so will see what they come back with, out of all the ones I tried to load I managed to find two that would seat tightly enough, so the box now has 98 bullets in it - will this matter to speer?

I should also mention that I did find 3 barnes bullets out of 50 that I loaded that slid in without sufficient neck tension, but nothing like the speer bullets were.

Regards,
    Gixer

Attachment 50221Attachment 50222Attachment 50223Attachment 50224Attachment 50225Attachment 50226

Just try some PPU ammo,they worked great in my gun when I had a 30-30,so not worth loading for.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Just try some PPU ammo,they worked great in my gun when I had a 30-30,so not worth loading for.
    i like reloading, it's not about the cost, and really the cost to reload is still cheaper than ppu here in the USA.

Well, I tested the Barnes bullets and they are also sliding within the case neck due to recoil when in the gun (although they won't move when pushed by hand)

would using a 30-30 crimp die solve this?

regards,
    Gixer