Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best shops for buying from in the USA

Established Poster
    Southern Burgundy, France and the UK a few times per year

Best shops for buying from in the USA

Going over to the USA again soon. As always I try to stock up on nice things. I always go business class so have lots of luggage weight to use up.

For those who bought over there what are their favourite places to buy from?

Brownells and Amazon.com were good for me. Cabelas and Midway USA were a pain and wouldn't sell me some things for my reloading due to the CC being registered outside the USA. I was only wanting some shell holders, a powder stand and a die set!

Never use Optics Planet as they are very painful to buy from.

I sometimes use USPS to ship back to the UK - good service and discrete....

Depends on where you're going but you're never too far from a Bass Outdoor Pro shop. Trading Post is also another good one if you're close to Boston. There's a good one in Pittsburgh too which I forget the name of and they post to the UK, no questions asked.

Established Poster
    Thanks. I've used Bass Pro and they are good but sometimes not as well stocked as they could be. I'll look into that Trading Post. I'm off to Florida with my 6 year daughter - so it's theme parks, beaches and shopping for us two

Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear MidwayUSA
    Natchez Shooters Supply Natchez Shooters Supplies
    Graf & Sons
    Palmetto State Armory
    www.SWFA.com for optics

Then there are specialty niche shops, for cast bullet and black powder shooters, metric ammunition, etc.
    EA Brown Co www.eabco.com for single shot rifles, scopes, barrels, scopes.

As said Above it depends on you location, but any will ship to your door or hotel i'v had stuff sent to a few holiday villas around Orlando, i find apart from the big ones bass pro etc getting a local phone book can end up getting you a some real good deals from the small outlets ,small road side gun shops have some good used kit and scopes so worth a look .

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear MidwayUSA
    Natchez Shooters Supply Natchez Shooters Supplies
    Graf & Sons
    Palmetto State Armory
    www.SWFA.com for optics

Then there are specialty niche shops, for cast bullet and black powder shooters, metric ammunition, etc.
    EA Brown Co www.eabco.com for single shot rifles, scopes, barrels, scopes.
    Midway USA woudn't accept my non USA credit card and directed me to the UK or French (much more expensive) versions of Midway. I'll look at those others though. Yes that's what I do, ship to my hotel.

tramblygoat,
    I have bought a few US items and ended up just getting it from the manufacturer and had it shipped here (Slings, rearbag, rests). I also bought some stuff from Sinclairs and they are happy to use UK credit cards great service. I recently however have decided to start buying local when available... ie UK or European as I think sooner or later the US will be very difficult to get things from.

I now live in the USA and find Cabelas to have the healthiest stock (I am near a cabelas, Bass pro and a few local gun shops) just use cash although I cant see why you had issue as i have used my UK cards hundreds of times in Cabelas.

Regards,

Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by tramblygoat View Post
    Midway USA woudn't accept my non USA credit card and directed me to the UK or French (much more expensive) versions of Midway. I'll look at those others though. Yes that's what I do, ship to my hotel.
    Can you get a Walmart VISA cash card, load that, and use it?
    Or in the US, walk into a major bank and get a similar cash card, or one from American Express.
    That way, you are not exposing your bank card to an Internet site, which is an added security step.