Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REALLY waterproof trousers which won't tear

REALLY waterproof trousers which won't tear

I've tried a fair few trousers over the last few years, most of which have at best, been okay. My latest, a pair of Seeland Woodcocks look good and are comfortable. But at the pheasant shoot last Saturday, persistent rain saw them eventually leak like a Home Office civil servant.

So I've been scouring the internet and other people's legs (!) to see what's out there that will give me reliable waterproofness, some breathability and a bit of robustness that'll see them having half a chance of surviving if I tackle the odd fence or some gorse. Ideally something that looks reasonable on a shoot too, so no camouflage.

The best seem to be Harkila Pro Hunters, but before I spend a quarter of a thousand pounds on some, are there any real alternatives?

Buy cheap buy twice (or more). Harkila are expensive, but you get what you pay for. I finally shelled out on the trousers a few months back and am kicking myself for not doing so before. Incredibly robust and amazingly warm and comfortable, yet wick the sweat away on long walks. I've been so delighted with the trousers that when my Barbour jacket let me down after a day in sustained rain (although granted, it appears not from letting water in, rather from not being breathable, as my arms got totally soaked with sweat), I traded for the matching jacket.
    Tim

I destroy trousers in short order and usually only get a few weeks out of a pair, or at least until I moved to Harkila. I've been wearing Harkila for maybe 2 -3 years now and while I still destroy them eventually it takes longer than a few weeks. I'd say the pro hunters are worth the money in the sense that they are over priced, over engineered for most stalkers, but are better than anything else I've tried so far if you are out a lot and will use them enough to get the value out of them. If you aren't out much or only do a week on the hill in the year then it is probably better to buy a cheaper pair and replace them after every few weeks of actual use.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Ive had Harkila trousers for around 3 years, i use them at least twice a week crawling through wet ditches and long wet grass, and they been great well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner223 View Post
    Ive had Harkila trousers for around 3 years, i use them at least twice a week crawling through wet ditches and long wet grass, and they been great well worth the money.
    +1 well worth the price

Glendine.

I'm sold. I think it's what I expected really. I've already got a jacket, so it now looks as though the trousers are top of the wish list. Thanks for the advice folks.

I see they do Pro Hunter and Pro Hunter X. The "X" ones come at anything up to 50 more. Apart from being a different shade and slightly different style, perhaps the newer model, does anyone know what the advantage of the "X" is?

I ordered a pair of these at the Deer Stalking Fair

waterproof trousers, durable trousers, work trousers, workwear, waterproof - Country Covers

They seem to get good feedback from almost everyone who has them

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    I ordered a pair of these at the Deer Stalking Fair

waterproof trousers, durable trousers, work trousers, workwear, waterproof - Country Covers

They seem to get good feedback from almost everyone who has them
    ...I was out stalking reds in foul weather one day last year and the stalker had a pair of these trousers on; he said they were fantastic, and the reinforced seat and knees were brilliant. I'm considering getting a pair myself..... (I own 3 x CC jackets, and really like them, so would hope that the keks were of a similar standard)
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    I see they do Pro Hunter and Pro Hunter X. The "X" ones come at anything up to 50 more. Apart from being a different shade and slightly different style, perhaps the newer model, does anyone know what the advantage of the "X" is?
    I brought an x pair the other week from Rugged & Tough for 251 they are simply brilliant. The cut appears to be more active (better fitting) and the side thigh vents worked really well - not sure if 'standard' pro hunters have them fitted now?.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
    I brought an x pair the other week from Rugged & Tough for 251 they are simply brilliant. The cut appears to be more active (better fitting) and the side thigh vents worked really well - not sure if 'standard' pro hunters have them fitted now?.
    The downside it that they don't do short versions for us short fat blokes. I'll have to have the originals when my size is back in stock in March.