REALLY waterproof trousers which won't tear

Pedro

I've tried a fair few trousers over the last few years, most of which have at best, been okay. My latest, a pair of Seeland Woodcocks look good and are comfortable. But at the pheasant shoot last Saturday, persistent rain saw them eventually leak like a Home Office civil servant.

So I've been scouring the internet and other people's legs (!) to see what's out there that will give me reliable waterproofness, some breathability and a bit of robustness that'll see them having half a chance of surviving if I tackle the odd fence or some gorse. Ideally something that looks reasonable on a shoot too, so no camouflage.

The best seem to be Harkila Pro Hunters, but before I spend a quarter of a thousand pounds on some, are there any real alternatives?

Buy cheap buy twice (or more). Harkila are expensive, but you get what you pay for. I finally shelled out on the trousers a few months back and am kicking myself for not doing so before. Incredibly robust and amazingly warm and comfortable, yet wick the sweat away on long walks. I've been so delighted with the trousers that when my Barbour jacket let me down after a day in sustained rain (although granted, it appears not from letting water in, rather from not being breathable, as my arms got totally soaked with sweat), I traded for the matching jacket.

I destroy trousers in short order and usually only get a few weeks out of a pair, or at least until I moved to Harkila. I've been wearing Harkila for maybe 2 -3 years now and while I still destroy them eventually it takes longer than a few weeks. I'd say the pro hunters are worth the money in the sense that they are over priced, over engineered for most stalkers, but are better than anything else I've tried so far if you are out a lot and will use them enough to get the value out of them. If you aren't out much or only do a week on the hill in the year then it is probably better to buy a cheaper pair and replace them after every few weeks of actual use.

Ive had Harkila trousers for around 3 years, i use them at least twice a week crawling through wet ditches and long wet grass, and they been great well worth the money.

I'm sold. I think it's what I expected really. I've already got a jacket, so it now looks as though the trousers are top of the wish list. Thanks for the advice folks.

I see they do Pro Hunter and Pro Hunter X. The "X" ones come at anything up to £50 more. Apart from being a different shade and slightly different style, perhaps the newer model, does anyone know what the advantage of the "X" is?

I ordered a pair of these at the Deer Stalking Fair

waterproof trousers, durable trousers, work trousers, workwear, waterproof - Country Covers

They seem to get good feedback from almost everyone who has them

...I was out stalking reds in foul weather one day last year and the stalker had a pair of these trousers on; he said they were fantastic, and the reinforced seat and knees were brilliant. I'm considering getting a pair myself..... (I own 3 x CC jackets, and really like them, so would hope that the keks were of a similar standard)

I see they do Pro Hunter and Pro Hunter X. The "X" ones come at anything up to £50 more. Apart from being a different shade and slightly different style, perhaps the newer model, does anyone know what the advantage of the "X" is?

I brought an x pair the other week from Rugged & Tough for £251 they are simply brilliant. The cut appears to be more active (better fitting) and the side thigh vents worked really well - not sure if 'standard' pro hunters have them fitted now?.

I brought an x pair the other week from Rugged & Tough for £251 they are simply brilliant. The cut appears to be more active (better fitting) and the side thigh vents worked really well - not sure if 'standard' pro hunters have them fitted now?.

The downside it that they don't do short versions for us short fat blokes. I'll have to have the originals when my size is back in stock in March.

I have had a pair of the Harkila Kodiak trousers for about 7 years.

They have been to Scotland every year since, to Sweden, Croatia and several other countries besides, as well as being used for winter stalking in the UK. They have kept me warm and dry, even when submerged in Scottish burns or sitting in snow.

When they die I'll buy another pair.

I have had a pair of the Harkila Kodiak trousers for about 7 years.

They have been to Scotland every year since, to Sweden, Croatia and several other countries besides, as well as being used for winter stalking in the UK. They have kept me warm and dry, even when submerged in Scottish burns or sitting in snow.

When they die I'll buy another pair.

That is some recommendation.

K

Some recommendation indeed. I guess it isn't easy to combine the attributes of being waterproof, breathable, quiet, tough, long lasting and being perhaps a bit nice to look at. Those would, over time work against each other I think.

It does seem that Harkila are leading the way. Other makes seem to have a few of these qualities, but not all. Are they good value for your money. It would seem to be, but it would be nice if another manufacturer would mount a serious bit of competition. I can never see this type of clothing being cheap, but a bit cheaper would not go amiss.

I paid £216 off eBay Pedro, at least a little cheaper than the ~£240-£250 most shops do them for, although clearly you need to know your exact size. I took a risk and thankfully it paid off but a pain and costly to keep sending back if you get it wrong.

Cheers tjm160. I expect I may well do the same. I do like to support my local businesses and if that costs me a few quid more, I don't mind. But for £40, there's only so much support one can give. ;)

For shooting ( not stalking ) chaps/leggings are a need. A good waterproof/warm trouser isn't the best. You need wellies. Trousers go into the wellies, so the water comes down the trousers into the wellies. When using the leggings properly the water runs down the jacket over the leggings on the wellies and to the ground. Always bone dry and warm.

Totally agree on all the Harkila comments I actually think the previous pro hunter generation better than the current pro X They are also still available - not so many fussy loops and bands. I have had one pair also for several years and apart from a small nick on barbed wire are still in great shape - they also do an extra long leg version (not in the pro x tho) which is helpful if a beanpole like me. I just bought another pair this year and fully expect both to last till my stalking days over (in about 23 years..) with weekly use

I was out stalking yesterday with my pro hunters and was crawling through snow and laying in it for hours and was still dry (...very cold but dry). I also managed to get caught in a barbed wire fence and cut my leg but somehow there was no rip in the trousers.

Back