Deerhunter rubbish?

tramblygoat

Have bought a couple of things from the Deer Hunter range and they didn't last long at all. What is a good make for a balance between price and quality - from you the guys out there?

ridgeline ,got 3 of there items used all the time.only downer was the moonsoon smock leaked first outing but the "combat type "jacket is bostin .and the long coat neither have let me down.reproofed the smock with nickwash and thats all good now.difficult as my deerhunter stalking jacket is 3years old and still good.the 75 to 150 quid zone is a hit n miss price range.

Would agree that the real tree stuff from Deer hunter dosen't last but the drab green stuff does. I wear it daily and it lasts at least a year. What the difference is I have no idea.

Al

Define doesn't last ?
My only Deerhunter jacket is a realtree, bought 20 years ago.
Faded a bit but no holes and still keeps the weather out, although these days is
usually only worn to keep the cold out.

Neil. :)

All the realtee stuff I have had leaks after a while, not through the zips. Through the material and deertex, and the seams also give way. My drab green stuff lasts, like I say it gets worn daily, can't fault it for the price.

Al

Deerhunter is ok at the price. Warm and comfy, but not as waterproof as it should be. Also, my jacket and trews have only single lines of stitching where should be double, and only thin thread for stitching.
Great for occasional wear, but won't last if used hard. If you're out on a regular basis I can understand you looking for something better. You'll have to pay more for it, though.

Would agree that the real tree stuff from Deer hunter dosen't last but the drab green stuff does. I wear it daily and it lasts at least a year. What the difference is I have no idea.

Al

i have to say that after looking at their latest stuff last week in detail, it looks good for the money. I'd certainly rather spend £80-£100 on a pair of trousers that will be dragged through thorns, heather and branches than £250, as the feeling when you get a wee thorn in your thigh through the water proof membrane seems to hurt less with the cheaper trousers...

I'm thinking along the same lines. I've tried Deerhunter, Seeland, Jack Pyke. All are not waterproof when it really rains. I bit the bullet and bought a Harkila Pro Hunter Jacket and have been mulling over a pair of the same trousers. Certainly the jacket does what it says on the tin, having had it for 2 years and finding it still waterproof and looking good. So I guess the trousers will too. But you are paying a small fortune for them. See separate thread re. really waterproof trousers.

Possibly the way to go is to have a cheaper set of clobber for days when the weather isn't doing it's worst and save the expensive stuff for when it's needed, thus stretching the working life of both.

Define doesn't last ?
My only Deerhunter jacket is a realtree, bought 20 years ago.
Faded a bit but no holes and still keeps the weather out, although these days is
usually only worn to keep the cold out.

Neil. :)

Lasting a reasonable time for me would be more than 6 months. Their stuff stopped being waterproof, then the internal liner came unstitched ( my girlfriend restitched it) the press buttons lost their rubber covers and in general all their stuff looked tatty quickly. I am not crawling around on the ground with my but only an occasional sit on the ground or knees in the dirt so the use it not excessive.

Back