Heating rod and gun cabinet

tramblygoat

How are you keeping your guns in good shape? I have mine wiped down with a light coat of oil, then into my gun safe where I used a heating rod to dry out the internal humidty if it rises.

have just picked up a 5 pack of dehumidifying boxes of silica gel stuff for £2 each on eBay
all over the house now!

about to leave one in the cabinet but it is pretty warm where it sits

No no no!! Your wood will dry to a fine powder after it splits like firewood. Silica gel is for keeping shipping containets free from condensation not gun stocks.

have just picked up a 5 pack of dehumidifying boxes of silica gel stuff for £2 each on eBay
all over the house now!

about to leave one in the cabinet but it is pretty warm where it sits

clearly you don't get to the pound shop in St. James often enough,,half the price ;)

No no no!! Your wood will dry to a fine powder after it splits like firewood. Silica gel is for keeping shipping containets free from condensation not gun stocks.

really?
water content should be minimal and it is oiled (and regularly reoiled)

Never mind it cracking, the rapid drying out by silica gel will case warping.
Use VP90 instead.

a small timer in place with a 40 watt tube heater works a treat,

forget your vp90 cilca jell pants stuff, do it correctly...after all they are the tools of your trade.

bob.

Simples, cabinet is bolted to the internal chimney breast, dry, warm, BUT not hot, shot guns oiled and good, my rifles are all synthetic. We have the log burner on as our primary heat source in winter months with the radiators only coming on if the temp drops below 15C which is rare as the log burner takes the chill off :)

Back