Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: moderator farce

moderator farce

A fellow fac license holder and I have agreed to swap moderators.
    Same calibre. One is declared on ticket as a t8 moderator, the other as Nvn (no visible number)
    In order to swap we must lodge our respective moderators with a rfd, apply for a 1 for 1 variation, then transfer the moderator from said rfd to fill the slot. Each step with the rfd will cost 15 so some 60 simply to swap.
    Ofcourse we could simply apply for another slot each, but again close to 60.
    Is this the only way to stay within regulations?

Separately but still on moderators
    I have two moderators which are identical.
    One is on my ticket as t8 7.62 moderator, the other .243, Nvn
    They are completely interchangeable but am I committing an offence if I inadvertently use the 7.62 mod on the 243 and vice verse?
    This then set my cell into overdrive!
    If I have a sako quad with a .22 moderator and a .17hmr barrel as well as the .22, but use the .22mod on each barrel even though I have a slot for a 17hmr mod I would also be committing an offence?

I think moderators should come off the HO remit to register just as rifle stocks, trigger assemblies etc are not recorded.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

It's all very silly, when my FEO checked my cabinet contents he didn't bother to even unwrap one of the mods. I always use my old mod because I don't want the nice new one scuffed, even though the rifles are different calibres. What I cant remember form my FAC is if the calibre is stated for each mod.
    GH

I have one moderator, it's a Third Eye Tactical Spartan III in .338" that I use on my .338, .308, .223 and .222, the police are fully aware that I use one mod for all, and if I buy another gun, I just get a muzzle brake to suit, and use that same mod, i do swap the baffles when using with the 223/222 as I have the correct ones, but in all honesty, it makes very little difference, all my calibers are 'conditioned' for the use of a moderator.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Aren't you technically committing an offence when using that moderator on a calibre for which it isn't on your ticket for though?
    If that's is the case yet 'the police' turn a blind eye to it shouldn't the law be changed to reflect the reality?
    You can bet your ass if push came to shove you'd be the one with a record for illegal possession/use of a firearm!
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    A fellow fac license holder and I have agreed to swap moderators.
    Same calibre. One is declared on ticket as a t8 moderator, the other as Nvn (no visible number)
    In order to swap we must lodge our respective moderators with a rfd, apply for a 1 for 1 variation, then transfer the moderator from said rfd to fill the slot. Each step with the rfd will cost 15 so some 60 simply to swap.
    Ofcourse we could simply apply for another slot each, but again close to 60.
    Is this the only way to stay within regulations?

Separately but still on moderators
    I have two moderators which are identical.
    One is on my ticket as t8 7.62 moderator, the other .243, Nvn
    They are completely interchangeable but am I committing an offence if I inadvertently use the 7.62 mod on the 243 and vice verse?
    This then set my cell into overdrive!
    If I have a sako quad with a .22 moderator and a .17hmr barrel as well as the .22, but use the .22mod on each barrel even though I have a slot for a 17hmr mod I would also be committing an offence?

I think moderators should come off the HO remit to register just as rifle stocks, trigger assemblies etc are not recorded.
    Is this being done in person?? or are they having to be sent to each other?

Apparently we can't do this in person as neither of us has an open slot as they're currently filled with our respective mods.

In edit. ...We live fairly close to each other do the intention was to just swap and write it on each others license
    Quad sticks

How can a piece of tubing with some baffles inside be subject to so much legal to-ing and fro-ing?

I have a Parker Hale mod' entered on my ticket for the .22LR. I also have an SAK mod' for the air rifle with the same thread. If I was to use the SAK on my rimfire I'd be committing an offence though

I also have mod' slots for my 22-250 and .270, but I use my 30cal' ASE for both.....does this mean that unless I buy a mod' dedicated for my 22-250 that I'm liable to lose the slot on renewal, then? My tickets has Items 5 and 6 as 'Calibre'-Full Bore and 'Type'-Moderator......no mention of any calibre-specifics though.
    Last edited by Woodsmoke; 08-12-2014 at 15:28.

Aren't you technically committing an offence when using that moderator on a calibre for which it isn't on your ticket for though?
    If that's is the case yet 'the police' turn a blind eye to it shouldn't the law be changed to reflect the reality?
    You can bet your ass if push came to shove you'd be the one with a record for illegal possession/use of a firearm!
    Don't believe so. From current HO Guidance:

13.79 Sound moderators should be assigned a calibre, but it is good practice to permit them to be used with more than one calibre of firearm. It is a matter for the individual shooter, subject to the “good reason” test, to decide whether to use a moderator on more than one suitable firearm or to have individual moderators for each firearm.

Apparently we can't do this in person as neither of us has an open slot as they're currently filled with our respective mods.

In edit. ...We live fairly close to each other do the intention was to just swap and write it on each others license
    Ok - bit of common sense here.... why cant you fill in each others tickets at the same time that way neither of you are committing an offense??

Limulus do you both reside in the same police area? If you do why not simply explain to your licensing authority what you want to do and I'm sure they will find a simple way of doing the swap without the need to involve a RFD or the need to pay for variations.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.