moderator farce

as GSD state both go to an rfd place both on the counter pay a small fee and take the one you wish away,:rolleyes: but as they are just tubes of steel or other with no numbers who's is who's ?? who can say ,both have one x mod with NVM or T8 in x cal on certs and you are complying with your holding but prob the rfd is the way to go:doh:

Why they insist on these being licensed I would like to know? Apart from a money making exercise, They don't require to be proofed. no good unless you have the firearms to screw it onto, which is already controlled. You can buy them over the counter for an air rifle and screw it straight onto a .22 rimfire. Go figure….

Limlus, just both talk to local RFD I'm sure they would facilitate your predicament while you buy some shells or something for your next trip to the marsh.

That's crux of the problem. Both are calibre and name specific which is why in future mine will simply say centre fire or rim fire moderator.
an rfd can't help as neither of us would have a slot available upon lodging our own moderator with the rfd.
my FLO could see the situation isn't ideal but it's what they have to live with at the moment

If you have a .243 and a .308
one day you forget your brain and load the .308 with .243 ammo and shoot it.....the world will not implode and you will fire form some .243 brass into .308.....
you have committed no offence

same goes for slapping your ".308" moderator on your .243!
it either fits or it doesn't!
Moderator bore size has an upper limit ... Not a lower one

i have a moderator that is technically stamped . 300 Weatherby magnum......I do not own a .300 Weatherby magnum.......
i will happily shoot anything at or below .30 cal down it!!

mine all say nvm for .22 or 30cal i have had dealers swap out old for new mods , as i still only end up with just one same as a barrel swap for same cal but as yours are named that's a real pain and you will now need to be getting that paperwork done for a 141, but why not talk to your flo ? you never know .

That's crux of the problem. Both are calibre and name specific which is why in future mine will simply say centre fire or rim fire moderator.
an rfd can't help as neither of us would have a slot available upon lodging our own moderator with the rfd.
my FLO could see the situation isn't ideal but it's what they have to live with at the moment

Unfortunately redlab that would be too simple and probably makes sense but as Orion points out the firearms act requires you to apply for a variation even if you are replacing it with an identical firearm/moderator.

I remember two pistol club members who decided to swap .22 pistols some years ago and did so, and then informed the Chief Constable of the exchange thinking that it was a mere formality. Both were invited in for a one sided talk with the Deputy Chief Constable and informed in no uncertain terms that this was not the way to do it. They were also informed that they should consider themselves very lucky that their FACs were not revoked.
It seems the police take this sort of unauthorised exchange very seriously indeed, but I am sure that if asked nicely they will facilitate such a transfer with minimum fuss. After all they don't want to appear unreasonable all the time do they. I generally find that if you ask nicely and it's possible they will generally go the extra mile.

Thank god mine are listed as rim fire and fullbore then and I have a spare fullbore space!!

My mods are recorded as C/F or R/F mods on my FAC and mentioned as just "moderator" in my conditions so no problems at all for me but my mate has his mods recorded as 1 x 223 and 1 x 308 moderators and his conditions say, "The 308, 223, and 17 cal rifles, ammunition and .223 and 308 moderators shall be used for....blah blah blah etc.
Not a problem in its own right, his mods are wildcat predators so he decided to buy a dedicated 17 cal insert, technically if he fits this insert to either of his mods they will no longer be a 223 or 308 mod but a 17 mod for which he is not licensed!! absolutely madness!!!

Ian.

Not a problem in its own right, his mods are wildcat predators so he decided to buy a dedicated 17 cal insert, technically if he fits this insert to either of his mods they will no longer be a 223 or 308 mod but a 17 mod for which he is not licensed!! absolutely madness!!!

Ian.

Madness it may be but it is Firearms legislation we are talking about here.

To my mind he should not have been able to buy the 17 cal insert without having it on his FAC.

I too have a Wildcat Predator, initially purchased in 30 cal for use on a 308. I had to apply for another moderator on my ticket before I could acquire the correct insert to use on my 223.

The calibre specific part of the modular construction is the only controlled part. For example you can replace the bridge piece to change the thread fitting without issue.

I'm hoping to use the same mod for 17 rimfire and a 17 Center fire (have applied for Mod slot for both anyway in fact a mod slot for all 4 guns ) so will make sure that the Cert is worded for swapping any Mod i have on any gun as per the quoted recommendation earlier in the thread

Both of my moderators are classed as full bore on my ticket, and they are not calibre or make specific. Issuing force GMP.
atb Blue

Apply for a variation and a temporary license(usually three months) for your existing moderator that should give you both ample time to do the swap,no extra slot no fee........thats what I have done in this sort of situation..

Sadly this farce just gets worse and worse,

Imo they are nothing but a bit of steel/alloy tubing, and the fact that they are on ticket is a complete waste of time, I have dropped many and they have never gone off, ran over one and it never went off,had one with a rattle in it and that was a 70 gr head and was it classed as loaded ? I will never know as I handed it in as I dreamed it unsafe, and when I handed it in at the desk the police office dealing with it said what is it again sir, when I said moderator he said but it's just a tube.

These need to be removed from the need to be classed as a firearm, and until I find a loaded moderator then they will be just a tube to me,

Sadly another controlling issue that when we wanted them they said no, and when we got them granted on health and safety grounds they took the pi 55

Bob,

Dont get me started on moderators......

I have a "friend" who had an old T8 that had worn out. The main dealer kindly did a PX on a new SL5. Old mod was sent back to dealer, variation applied for and approved.....noted as a .30 cal mod. Mod was sent to local RFD, my "friend" went to said local RFD where alas it was found that the thread was incorrect. The mod was given to my "friend" to be sent back to main dealer. Mod was duly dispatched and my "friend" was expecting the replacement-replacement mod to be sent to aforementioned RFD.
Main dealer kindly sends new mod in post directly to my "friend"!!!!
So my "friend" then had in his possession, allegedly, technically illegally, a brand new mod which needed to be taken back to the local RFD to be put retrospectively on his ticket!!!
Its an empty metal tube with some baffles which does not enhance the ballistic capabilities of the weapon anymore than a muzzle brake.....which needs no variation, condition etc on a FAC.
And before anyone gets onto their soapbox...my "friend" has had it entried on his FAC
.......and as for the separate serial numbers for receivers and barrels on the Devil Spawn straight pull rifles ..... That's a mini series in itself!!!:lol:

Now as it happens I have a very recent story of a moderator ownership/ticket inclusion/shipping topic

I had to return a moderator (will get to that another time)

So I spoke to the dealer I acquired it from and he said "post it direct to me"
This I am aware is perfectly legal with rifles and components as it is the authority to receive and carry that needs to be specific (not to send, I already have that as I am the legal owner)

Anyway, long story short I received my new shiney, updated and redesigned moderator back in the post direct to me courtesy of UPS.

As the moderator is already on my FAC and I technically own it (given it is listed as a CF mod and unmarked it becomes a difficult discussion about the exact identity) apparently it can be sent to me direct,

now here is the interesting part

he says this is true for firearms as well!! (something he says has been cleared by his Police authority
if it is listed on your FAC already and you are the owner, if it is sent by a authorised carrier, signed for by the addressee, he claims there is no need for RFD to RFD

if this is correct it could upset the apple cart slightly with regard to the fatuous RFD to RFD transfers

It must be sent by an authorised carrier and a confirmed signatory - no problem . Re. the moderator question , I have two mods , neither of which is marked , one is up to 243 , the other up to .308 , I use them each on different rifles according to calibre , no mention is made on my FAC which rifles they should be allocated to . I have in the past used the .308 one on my 223 with audible difference ??

I have two 'Full Bore' mod' slots on my FAC, neither of them marked as calibre-specific. At the moment I only have one slot filled though.....with an ASE Utra 30cal that I use on both rifles. The .22LR mod' slot is merely listed as 'Moderator' though, and the RFD I bought the mod' from has entered 'Parker Hale .22 moderator' on my ticket. As the PH mod' is almost at the end of its life, how would I go about 'properly' disposing of it following a one-for-one to replace it with the likes of an SAK? As Bobjs found, I'd be likely to be laughed off the front desk if I ask the police to dispose of a slightly-rusty 'tube', but if I throw it in the bin I imagine that technically there could be questions asked as to its whereabouts come renewal time. Tricky, innit? :confused:

Apply for a variation and a temporary license(usually three months) for your existing moderator that should give you both ample time to do the swap,no extra slot no fee........thats what I have done in this sort of situation..

Yes, this is the way to go. It is what I have done every time I have changed a rifle or moderator.

Back