Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Waterproof aditive to wash clothing in

  1. #1

    Waterproof aditive to wash clothing in

    Hi guys im lookubg fir the best stuff to top up the water proof on my outfit but aint got a clue. Any ideas?

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Contact Arktis in Exeter. They have some better stuff cant remember the name. About 5 did two jackets lasted two years and still waterproof.

  4. #4
    Arktis recommend Fabsil Gold for reproofing, done my kit a few years ago and still keeps me dry

  5. #5
    Another vote for Nikwax products.

    I firstly use Nikwax Tech wash to clean the garment and then Nikwax TX.Direct (wash in) to add water repellency and breathability,These products are added directly to your washing machine powder dispenser which is firstly cleaned to remove normal washing powder residue.I definitely rate them.

    They are also available from camping shops etc.
    Last edited by paultap; 13-12-2014 at 04:11.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dan71 View Post
    Hi guys im lookubg fir the best stuff to top up the water proof on my outfit but aint got a clue. Any ideas?
    Yep, Nikwax for me. I hill walk extensively as well as shoot and use this brand to clean and waterproof both boots and clothing. Works very well but is also widely available.

    Iain
    Northern Sportsman Ltd

  7. #7
    Is this ok to use on tweed?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by accurate View Post
    Yep, Nikwax for me. I hill walk extensively as well as shoot and use this brand to clean and waterproof both boots and clothing. Works very well but is also widely available.

    Iain
    Northern Sportsman Ltd
    So if I use this stuff on my not inconsiderable collection of Paramo garments they may actually repell the odd shower rather than absorb like a sponge??

    Cheers

    K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    So if I use this stuff on my not inconsiderable collection of Paramo garments they may actually repell the odd shower rather than absorb like a sponge??

    Cheers

    K
    Dear me, you actually believed the Paramo advertising lol? Actually I did as well and have Paramo jackets, trousers and smocks as well as the normal Berghaus walking gear and it does work. Like you I have had mixed results with the Paramo and while I like it will probably not buy it again. It does seem to need much more maintenance than the normal goretex gear though not including the fact that you still can't sit on a wet bank without getting a wet butt.

    As for tweed, I guess it depends on what you have. I know Barbour tweed jackets are washable and the benefit of Nikwax is that cleaners are pure soap and not ''Daz Blue Whiteness'' while proofing is water soluble until it is dried. Tweed is likely only ever going to be water resistant and never water proof I guess.

    Iain

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by accurate View Post
    Dear me, you actually believed the Paramo advertising lol? Actually I did as well and have Paramo jackets, trousers and smocks as well as the normal Berghaus walking gear and it does work. Like you I have had mixed results with the Paramo and while I like it will probably not buy it again. It does seem to need much more maintenance than the normal goretex gear though not including the fact that you still can't sit on a wet bank without getting a wet butt.

    As for tweed, I guess it depends on what you have. I know Barbour tweed jackets are washable and the benefit of Nikwax is that cleaners are pure soap and not ''Daz Blue Whiteness'' while proofing is water soluble until it is dried. Tweed is likely only ever going to be water resistant and never water proof I guess.

    Iain
    Stick with this mid layer garment and there is nothing finer:
    http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garmen...INPULLONUNISEX
    K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted Kids waterproof clothing wanted to fit 8 yr old
    By teyhan1 in forum Clothing & Footwear
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 16:21
  2. Wash in insect repellent
    By Heym SR20 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-09-2012, 10:35
  3. Childrens waterproof clothing (camo)
    By rigboot in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-03-2012, 06:38
  4. the wash machine
    By LSF in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 19:56
  5. How to break in new waterproof clothing, i.e. get rid of chemical smells!
    By western woodsman in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 19-09-2011, 18:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •