Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help fitting a swivel stud

Help fitting a swivel stud

Morning all,

Can anyone advise the best way to install a swivel stud in to a HS Presicion stock? I'd like to put a third in just behind the bipod.

Many thanks in advance.

James

I always use the type of stud that comes with a nut to fit in the stock. Drill the hole so that the stud thread is a nice & snug fit into the stock (may need screwing in sort of) recess the top of the hole to fit the nut in the barrel channel so it clears the barrel. Test fit it & then shorten the stud to end up just flush with the top of the nut when tightened. You can then tighten the stud up corectly aligned. - Use epoxy glue or loctite the nut & it will never move. Easy job!

Ian

You may be lucky and find when you drill the pilot hole you hit the aluminium spine - if you do then you need to tap the thread of the bipod stud into the ally spine using an appropriate diameter pilot hole.

Failing that I would machine out the underside of the barrel channel to bond in a short piece of 5mm thick ally plate, deep enough to allow the above process to happen - i.e. - mechanically attaching the stud to the stock via a thread in the plate.

Bond in with a suitable high strength epoxy or devcon and then cover the plate with devcon to the same contour as the barrel channel, finally repaint to seal.

Not a ten minute job

Mine were done at Macleods at Tain. Countersunk nuts and bonded properly. Flush fitting on the underside. 25 each + postage.

With any job you have to consider....
    The cost of doing it yourself, for the first time, finding out all that could go wrong and possibly does go wrong....or....having someone who has done it many times, found what could go wrong and doesn't let it go wrong.
    On an expensive piece of kit, I know which way I would rather go.
    Last edited by private fraser; 09-12-2014 at 12:22.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Thank you all for your replies they are greatly appreciated. As I feared the potential to really mess up a stock that I cannot afford to replace does not outweigh the cost savings of diy. Cheers, James

Am intrigued why you want a third stud - if for the sling why not attach it straight to the bipod??

Quote Originally Posted by sh1kar View Post
    Am intrigued why you want a third stud - if for the sling why not attach it straight to the bipod??
    Fair question. Here's my reason: When carrying a rifle where the sling attaches to the bipod, a lot of the weight of the rifle is transferred through the back of the bipod on to ones shoulder. This is uncomfortable. An appropriately place third stud will help mitigate this problem. On my .22 it's not really a problem as the rifle weighs very little however the rifle in question is a Remington VS with a very heavy barrel. Best, James

mmm I hadn't noticed But FYI I attach sling to bipod through the two holes in the 2 levers you squeeze together to clamp onto the stud before screwing up to tighten if that makes sense - the end of the sling is then attached much nearer the front of the bipod than using the ring at the back of it

d

Quote Originally Posted by Biathlonjimmy View Post
    Thank you all for your replies they are greatly appreciated. As I feared the potential to really mess up a stock that I cannot afford to replace does not outweigh the cost savings of diy. Cheers, James
    Other than an extra hole you can fill, what is there to mess up to the extent you will need to replace the stock?? The Uncle Mikes swivel sets are designed/intended for the consumer to install. All you need it access to a drill and some bits, a pencil and a straight edge to mark a line between the existing stud hole and the front guard screw to find your right-left center. Just take a look in the barrel channel first to make sure you aren't going to be drilling into something best left undrilled.~Muir