Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dillon

dillon

Hi folks.
    I'm thinking of buying a Dillon progressive press. Can anyone confirm if standard Lee dies work in the Dillon or are there ones specific ones.

Thanks

FL

Yes any 7/8th x 14 threaded die will fit the Dillon shell plate holders.

Just to be clear, shell plate is part of the caliber conversion kit which has to be purchased separately (kit works for all cartridges sharing the same head dimensions; I'm not sure if the same kit works for hugely different brass length like 308Win/45Auto).

Toolhead is the quick change part on top of the press, that accepts the standard dies (and also other things like the powder funnel).

Dillon also has proprietary die presses for pistol calibers (Square Deal B). And in some cases using standard size Dillon dies has certain advantages over other brands (like spent primer removal).

SD Regular
    If it is the Square Deal for pistol calibres then they use their own unique dies. If it is the 550 series then they take standard 7/8 x 14 dies BUT are "choosy" on the die lock nut they use. Some large size lock nuts are too big. Dillon has very good customer support and a 'phone call or e-mail will advise whoe make lock nuts will fit and whose won't fit.

Thanks folks. I think its the 550, he is selling.

Quote Originally Posted by foxyloxy View Post
    Thanks folks. I think its the 550, he is selling.
    My chiropractor gave me a 550B he had received from another patient that could not pay his bill. After using it for a while and then seeing a 650 in operation I would recommend you buy the 650. When free, a 550 is good but if you are going to laydown your hard earned cash go with the upgrade.

SS

I would definitely recommend 550 over 650. Manually turning the shell plate loses practically nothing in speed (and is much easier to work with if problems occur) and powder check is better done visually while placing the bullet in seating station.

+1
    also lee dies are marmite 2P worth get a good set like Redding / Rcbs or better still the Dillon as its been said the locking rings are thin to allow setting up the die's but you can swap them around
    as jthyttin states the shell plate turns very easy and are renowned for dumping powder on rifle case's and pistol .I had two 1050's and two 550b's running for pistols, but now the 550b's are sitting under the bench as i moved to rcbs i have three of them set up works for me i can load a try in stages knowing they will be spot on and they are'nt being dropped off the end into a linbin container! but if you do use/buy one a tip is a put a slice of sponge in the base of the try to stop your rounds dropping to hard. top kit Dillon just look at what your doing with all three /four if you crimp i never do , all the stages going at one time can give you brain fade just look before you turn then it like rideing a bike, you will be knocking one out in no time ( ) also you will need a powder through funnel die for each cal : small, med, .you can go on line to Dillon and get the blue book sent to you with all the bits in it . PS any bits that need replacing you bought it new

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    I would definitely recommend 550 over 650. Manually turning the shell plate loses practically nothing in speed (and is much easier to work with if problems occur) and powder check is better done visually while placing the bullet in seating station.

SD Regular
    Nothing wrong with the 550, especially for rifle calibres, indeed my local shooting centre has FOUR of them and the owner much prefers them to the 1050 that they have. However the 650 does give you an extr, fifth, a hole. But in reality for rifle calibres where you wouldn't ordinarily taper crimp it is not needed. AS you'll either no crimp or use a gentle roll crimp I'd guess. But for pistol it does have an advantage. yes, the 650.

Although for me being slow witted I prefer the inability to double charge that the Square Deal gives me. So I use one for .44 Magnum but do all my rifle calibre on a single station Australian Simplex "knock off" of a Lyman. O Mag.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 09-12-2014 at 15:03.

Cheers again folks.
    Its for knocking out pistol ammo which gets verrrrry monotonous on a single stage press. Mind you I think ill be holding onto my single stage for my rifle ammo.

FL