Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW To STALKING

NEW To STALKING

Hi All,

After spending the best part of my life, so far, with a shotgun close to hand I have become ever more curious about stalking, whether it be deer or any other larger game.

I am now planning to expand my limited experience and have a serious look at deer stalking preferably within the Bristol area (Somerset, South Wales, Wiltshire, South Glos).

I have some firearms experience gained through military training, school and time spend using shotguns.

Any advice and guidance is greatly appreciated and would like to say thank you in advance.

Kind Regards
    Ben

Welcome to the forum. Keep an open mind and a major sense of humour - its a great resource.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Welcome to the site Ben, & good luck with your new interest W.S.
    Walk little- look often .

Welcome, I'm a novice myself and learning at a pace thanks to the friendly folks on here.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Ben88 View Post
    Hi All,

After spending the best part of my life, so far, with a shotgun close to hand I have become ever more curious about stalking, whether it be deer or any other larger game.

I am now planning to expand my limited experience and have a serious look at deer stalking preferably within the Bristol area (Somerset, South Wales, Wiltshire, South Glos).

I have some firearms experience gained through military training, school and time spend using shotguns.

Any advice and guidance is greatly appreciated and would like to say thank you in advance.

Kind Regards
    Ben

Hi Ben

I just started out this year after 25+ years shooting shotguns at ducks, rabbits, foxes etc. etc. and having target rifle experience with 303s in my cadet days

What follows is based no my experience so far this year which involves getting my section 1, getting kit, several stalks and two deer

Do you have any permissions to shoot your shotgun where you could get a permission to shoot fox?

If so great. Apply for your Section 1 on the basis of permission to shoot fox and get a 243 cleared for deer & vermin. I used the farm where I shot ducks to get my cert as its cleared for 308

It helped me to have some paid stalking booked as well

Find out from locals how long it takes to get past the local fire arms department for your section 1 as in Kent its several months. Surrey its weeks???

Luckily I was allowed to use my local farm to zero in my rifle once obtained, which was a massive help

Then I did paid stalks and kept an ear to the ground for permissions and people to stalk with. This is IMHO the hardest part of stalking

Id seriously take any opportunity to get hands on with gralocking as well. That’s quite a learning curve

Kit wise thers some bits which are not instantly apparent

I am a novice but I have a list below of what I take on every trip. If I am stalking it’s in the car if I am in a high chair it’s in my bag.

In no particular order:

Rifle with scope and flip up lens cover to protect lens from rain when carried on the shoulder sling

Shooting sticks for stalking

Cloth to store bolt and magazine in for transport

Pouch with spare shells in, choice of 75g ballistic (head shot) & 100g soft point (heart shot)

Two knives one dirty one clean (they both start clean but just in case)

An old tea towel to wipe my hands with and wrap the knives in when I am finished (don’t put them back in the sheathes)

7m of 8mm rope to string up the dear for a nice hanging grallock, to lift kit up to the high chare and lower it back down, and to drag the dead deer out of the woods with (tea towel makes nice shoulder buffer)

Folding gambrel for hanging grallock

A loop with a double ended clip on to clip my bag to the high chair

At least a half dozen pairs of disposable surgical gloves (they split easily)

A small bottle of water to rinse with & or drink

Wet wipes

3-4 sealable plastic bags for storing the liver and or heart in

cable ties for doing a field grallock & generally building space shuttles with (coz we all know you can build anything with cable ties and gaffa tape)

a 12" length of plastic 20mm water pipe with Vs cut in the end to use as a rib spreader

A head mounted torch (my one is too powerful try and get one with variable power)

A spare torch

I also have a cheap range finder which I like to use in the high seat to gauge where and haw far I am willing to take a shot. Sometimes you think yes I’ll shoot the dear when it comes below that rise, only to find out that’s a 200m shot.

I am sure experience will take over but for now the range finder is a useful tool.

In the car I carry more water (5ltrs following Robin and Geoff’s example) a large water resistant builders dust sheet to protect the car from blood and a few plastic rubble sacks to put the deer in.

Things I am seriously considering adding to my current kit:

A double shoulder harness to make the drag easier

A drag bag

A bone saw

A small light weight pulley system to make lifting the deer for the gralock a lot easier

A decent first aid kit

Other tips:

Get good water proof boots (I use Muck Boots)

Never underestimate how cold you will get in a high seat. Especially ears neck and face

Always have gloves

I get hot stalking so I have a light weight camo fleece for stalking and a heavy camo over coat for the high seat

Braces are better than a belt for stalking unless you’re lucky enough to have hips

Having something to sit on in the high chair is a very good idea. Having something to lean back on is an even better idea

Spend a good amount of time dry practicing using sticks to shoot with as you will be too slow to start with and that will cost you a shot.

Don’t just zero your rifle, do shots from sitting kneeling laying down and sticks to simulate what you will do in the field and make sure your confident as being unsure when the cross hairs are on the deer will again cost you a shot due to hesitation or worse cause a wounded animal

Do research on shooting a deer from different angles to ensure you aiming at the right kill zone (Good stuff on the interwebby thing)

Get a cheap rifle but an expensive scope

Make sure your rifle security cabinet can cope with scopes (my three gun cabinet couldn’t take two guns with scopes and a shotgun so I had to buy a new 6 gun deep box to fit two shotguns and two rifles)

Hope some of this helps

I reserve the right to alter the above or declare it complete rubbish as I gain more experience

ATB

Chasey
    Last edited by Chasey; 10-12-2014 at 18:59.

Very good post chasey.
    i note you have 2 different loads for different shot placements, do you only load when a shot presents? I usually find (especially in woodland) that I don't have the time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Very good post chasey.
    i note you have 2 different loads for different shot placements, do you only load when a shot presents? I usually find (especially in woodland) that I don't have the time for that.
    Some times I plan a head shot in advance. My last high seat night my absolute maximum range shot was going to be 70m and most likley shot 40m. So I load 75g balistic tip for a head shot.

Ill only head shot from a high seat / stable shooting platform so walked stalks are always heart shot load. If I am close enough for a head shot on a walked stalk (ie very close) it wont matter if I use a 100g soft point

If the high seat is open to a likley long shot ill load for heart 100g Soft point

Paid stalking I have no choice but load for heart as thats all they will let me shoot

If loaded for a head shot I have three rounds in my 5 shot Sako mag and ill have a couple of 100g soft points in my right pocket just in case a long shot presents its self

Or I will just wait for the deer to get closer

Havent had the chance to put this to the test yet

With the balistic tips having a red plastic tip thers little chance of confusion.

The rifel (Sako 75) is more acurate with the 75g Balistic tips I can get consistant 15-20mm grouping at 100m. The 100 grain seem a lot harder to group and its more like 30-40mm at 100m

I havent had much chance to play with amo

I am using Hornady Superperformance SST for the 75g and Federal Power Shok for the 100g

I have some Norma75g Vmax to try out soon but the Hornady seem to fire true and very flat

Fortunatly swapping between the 100g Federal and 75g Hornady dosen't make much diferance at 100m the Federal shoots a tad low but not enough to make me alter the sights

ATB

Chasey
    Last edited by Chasey; 10-12-2014 at 18:58.