Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas decoration v Fire hazzard quandry.

Christmas decoration v Fire hazzard quandry.

I think I have just come across what seems to be an "Ebenezer Scrooge" situation!
    The residents in the flats where I live have all just received a note telling us that we are not allowed to have an artificial festive wreath hanging on our front door (Quote) "in order to minimise the fire risk over the festive period". However the same note tells us that some designated areas within building will be having Christmas decorations put up - These designated Areas no doubt mean the Residents Lounge and of course directly outside the manager's office.
    Now my line of thinking is that these decorations (No doubt tinsel and streamers (The usual type of household Christmas decorations) that are going to be put up in these "designated areas" are also likely to be either just as flamable or would give off exactly the same toxic fumes in the event of a fire so it puzzles me as to what makes them less of a fire hazzard in these areas as opposed to an artificial wreath hanging on our door?
    I'm all for safety but on the other hand I also enjoy celebrating Christmas with the usual decorations and all the trimmings but this seems to smell of some sort of a "double standards" situation!
    Any thoughts gents?

Sadly and unfortunately it's the way of our world these days.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Is there a possibility that some hooligan will come running by setting them all on fire? Has it happened before? I would think if the area outside your door is on fire a wreath is hardly going to make much of an impact. Unless of course you have some sort of spontaneously combusting ones. Things like this really annoy me.

Your post says ''we are not allowed to have an ARTIFICIAL festive wreath hanging on our front door'' - I would stick up a REAL one and say Merry Christmas, GET IT UP YE! (unless you might get evicted of course!)

i would guess that you are not allowed them in corridors to preserve the escape route in case of fire. the residents lounge probably has a FD30 door.

It would seem that the responsible person is managing the common areas in your block of flats quite correctly Frenchieboy. However they have failed to explain to the residents the reason for what can appear a bit severe or harsh to you all.
    It's not a scooge thing it's about proper fire safety management having carried out a fire risk assessment of the particular situation. As Artschool says the corridors are escape routes where it is necessary to control sources of ignition, flamable materials and such things as surface linings and surface spread of flame. Whereas the residents lounge will be a compartment seperated from the escape routes by fire resisting construction and doors.

The problem is that if they permit a limited amount of decoration on escape routes there is the possibility that some residents will take it too far and try to go one better than their next door neighbours. Just out of interest is there automatic fire detection on the corridors outside your flat and is there an entry control system at the entrance doors.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Sounds like the place my Mum lives in, she got told the same, but does it anyway.
    When she was asked to take it down she said, "I'll take it down when you remove the decorations in the lounge"
    Five years on nobody has asked again.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Sounds like the place my Mum lives in, she got told the same, but does it anyway.
    When she was asked to take it down she said, "I'll take it down when you remove the decorations in the lounge"
    Five years on nobody has asked again.

Neil.
    The reasoning should have been explained to your Mum and the decorations taken down Neil. It's all about getting the balance right and explanation, but so often the resposible person gets it wrong either by going totally overboard on safety or by neglecting their duties entirely.

As with most things a little bit of communication can save an awful lot of ill feeling and resentment. We tend to talk at people these days rather than talking to people.
    Last edited by 8x57; 10-12-2014 at 10:48.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

At least you got the fire hazard excuse and not the excuse that it may offend some non Christian residents who don't partake in Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    At least you got the fire hazard excuse and not the excuse that it may offend some non Christian residents who don't partake in Christmas!
    Great reply, nice one!

They wouldn't like my Christmas tree with real candles...