Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Williams WGRS sights on a Marlin 30-30

Williams WGRS sights on a Marlin 30-30

Does anyone have experience of using a marlin 30-30 with the above sights? I recently bought a Marlin and have put around 40 rounds through it at 50 and 100 yards at the range, the 3 pics show 2 of the groups at 50 yards (around 3") and 1 of them at 100 (around probably 5" on the darker cardboard) and to be honest with the open Irons this seems to be about the best I can do with it, obviously this is only with 2 types of factory ammo - 170gr winchester and 150gr remmington - but I dont know if i'm expecting too much of it and I was wondering if the williams will make it easier to shoot? all the shots would most liokely be a dead whitetail or pig at under 100 but I want to make sure I do everything i can to get the group size down.

I have bought the sight and It comes with the standard 3/8 dia. .085 opening short shank steel aperture plus 2 twilight brass ringed long shank steel aperture's. The first aperture opening is .150. the second aperture is .050. All are 3/8 disc.

Having never used a williams sight I dont really know what to expect!

I loath to put a scope on the marlin but if the groups dont come down its all I can do to allow me to use it on live targets.

Any input welcome.

Regards,
    Gixer

Edit - all pics are sideways and should be 90 clockwise!

Attachment 50181Attachment 50180Attachment 50179
    Last edited by gixer1; 09-12-2014 at 18:38. Reason: Pics are all sideways... sorry!

Sure. The Williams sights will make it easier to shoot.~Muir

Can I ask what the "average" sort of group size that would be expected with a 30-30 with iron's muir?? I just wonder if i'm expecting too much.

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Can I ask what the "average" sort of group size that would be expected with a 30-30 with iron's muir?? I just wonder if i'm expecting too much.
    In my experience, with a carbine-style gun, about 3 inches at 100 yards. An old Model 94 or 336 rifle with no barrel band will shoot groups half that size and better. My 1930's vintage, 26" barreled, 32 Winchester Special would shoot MOA with cast bullets.~Muir

The WGRS will work well on a Marlin .30-30.
    It also works well on a Ruger 10/22, so you can match up your .22 to your deer rifle for practice and familiarity.

If you want to play with handloading and shooting at longer ranges ( like a 125-gr Sierra ), you might consider a Lyman or Williams receiver sight with target knobs. The Lyman has the added advantage of removing the bridge with the push button lock, and it returns to zero. That also allows you to use the open sights, or a scope or red dot on a rail or Weaver or Warne 2-piece bases.

The open threads work well as a ghost ring, like the Enfield No.4. The Lyman comes with two aperture discs. You can also buy a Merit disc, which has adjustable aperture for the light conditions, front sight, and your eyes. It really lets you dial in a sharp sight picture.

Thanks for the input gents, I'll let you know how i get on with it...

Regards,

Gixer

Ok, silly question - should the sight go on the front holes on the recieved or the back ones???

and is there any reason I should use a specific aperture (I got three with it)

regards,
    Gixer

Mount it on the back of the receiver. Don't use in any thread locker.

When you get it mounted, you will see the effects the different aperture sizes have in sharpening up the front sight and target, in different light, and for your eyes, and how you hold your head. For the hunting you do, you will figure out which one is best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Mount it on the back of the receiver. Don't use in any thread locker.

When you get it mounted, you will see the effects the different aperture sizes have in sharpening up the front sight and target, in different light, and for your eyes, and how you hold your head. For the hunting you do, you will figure out which one is best for you.

Thank you sir!

Well the recieved sight improved the grouping, but I think I may have the wrong front sight as I was aiming at the middle circle! So it's 12" high at 50 yards!

how do I know which front sight to change to??

Regards,
    Gixer