17 hmr

Does anyone have any info on 17 HMR ammo. I have a Browning T bolt and yet to find anything that I am happy using. So far Hornady, Federal, CCI all with very poor grouping. I can't believe the rifle is this bad!!

i had a t bolt, i had the same problem it would not group. i sold mine and got a cz 455, great gun and groups well.

You could try Remington ammo. I used this in mine, and it worked well. Now using Winchester and equally as good. I'm using a cz hmr.

stu

Does anyone have any info on 17 HMR ammo. I have a Browning T bolt and yet to find anything that I am happy using. So far Hornady, Federal, CCI all with very poor grouping. I can't believe the rifle is this bad!!

All those ammunitions are made by same manufacturer. Only Winchester makes their own 17HMR. One thing: If you are cleaning your rifle barrel, stop -at least while testing ammunition.~Muir

I'm. Going to share a secret with you.

The HMR is *****. Get rid of it and get just about anything to replace it.

i had a t bolt, i had the same problem it would not group. i sold mine and got a cz 455, great gun and groups well.
Same here. I hated the Browning trigger and the fact that the bolt could be opened accidentally with one up the spout, safety on, thus loosing the round. I dabbled with the 20 grain bullets but I think greater accuracy obtainable with the 17grain. All make rounds much of a muchness. Whatever you buy you will eventually find one round failing to fire, together with a split case here and there.

I'm. Going to share a secret with you.

The HMR is *****. Get rid of it and get just about anything to replace it.

I passed on a heavy-barreled Savage with a laminated stock, Vortex scope and a Rifle Basix trigger for less then $200 today because it was a 17HMR. I have two (three if I count my son's in the gun room) of those already, and while they shoot well enough with a decent LOT of ammo, I never do use them. If it had been a 22WMR -even though ammo is scarce as hen's teeth- I'd have bought it. ~Muir

I'm sad to say the group is about 4 inches, very irritating when during the same session on the range I was shooting 1 inch groups with my 30-06. I have had the trigger and bolt sorted and have to say the trigger pull is excellant.

Back