Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Brass for .270

Best Brass for .270

Hi,

I was given a lot of brass from my experienced 'mentor' but it is starting to get a bit old and I am looking at getting some new brass.

He gave me Norma brass but I don't think I can afford this, so would anyone else recommend any other cheaper makes that they have found to be good?

Thanks,

Tom

If you are hunting, I doubt you'd notice any variation between brands. The only golden rule is to use a single brand at a time and retest your load if you change from one make of brass to another (as internal volumes vary slightly, affecting pressure).

I use .270 Sako or Norma brass when I can get it cheaply, otherwise I use Winchester brass because I can buy prepped' once-fired brass fairly cheaply at Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove (25 per 100). I haven't found a lot of internal variation between US brands, .e.g. Federal, Winchester, Remington etc but there's a marked difference between US and European brands. I tend to bin my .270 brass after about 5 firings anyway - if I was using super-expensive custom brass or if it was a specially formed case, I'd try and keep it longer but it's readily available, so I don't bother.

I have used the super cheap PPU brass but I find the necks harden after a couple of firings and need annealing, which is a pain.

Adam.

Account Suspended
    Without a doubt Norma is the best brass you can get in 270 its nice and soft and does not work harden like federal I have some Norma brass I have reloaded 30 odd times and without any signs of fatigue yet i have re worked federal brass and its failed after 6 or severn times on re loading.

I am told Lapua is also good but very expensive.

Nosler custom is what I keep for my stalking loads...just a little treat for special days
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Finnbear,
    Do you find Nosler Custom so much better, and I did go looking for Lapua but was told they dod not make brass in .270,

.270 brass

anyone looking for .270 once fired brass?

I agree with the comments above, Norma brass is very good. The old adage of buying the best you can afford applies here too.

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/ebrowse...0+***+9013+***

Lapua do make a .30-06 brass which could be necked down. http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=852

Quote Originally Posted by smithp18 View Post
    Finnbear,
    Do you find Nosler Custom so much better, and I did go looking for Lapua but was told they dod not make brass in .270,
    OHHH Yes!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Ought six cases that I have are shorter in the oal than standard .270's

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I agree with the comments above, Norma brass is very good. The old adage of buying the best you can afford applies here too.

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/ebrowse...0+***+9013+***

Lapua do make a .30-06 brass which could be necked down. http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=852
    Good link that thanks for that