Thread: Case trimming

Case trimming

I'm just wondering how often people trim their cases and at what point do you trim them? After every firing or every three?

i have a few hundred .223 and some of them are on their 4th loading, I sat and resized them tonight and then inserted and measured them and the majority are at 1.736" but I have a few that are at 1.755" so approaching the max length of 1.760"

i dont usually trim them after every fire as long as the case length is consistant but just wondering what others do?

regards,
    Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    I'm just wondering how often people trim their cases and at what point do you trim them? After every firing or every three?

i have a few hundred .223 and some of them are on their 4th loading, I sat and resized them tonight and then inserted and measured them and the majority are at 1.736" but I have a few that are at 1.755" so approaching the max length of 1.760"

i dont usually trim them after every fire as long as the case length is consistant but just wondering what others do?

regards,
    Gixer
    I trim each case to the length of the shortest case in the bunch, at each firing. I crimp, therefore I trim. Consistency is the #1 rule in reloading.~Muir

I trim every time to keep things as consistent as possible.

As said above, for consistency every time I resize I trim.

ATB 243 Stalker.

+1 for every time. Keeps things consistent.

I have a reference trim length for each cartridge I shoot. I measure the cases and if they exceed the reference length they get trimmed and de-burred. If they don't exceed the ref trim length I do nothing.

Regards

JCS

After sizing I length check all cases & trim each batch to consistent length below maximum removing minimum metal possible. All get checked for chamfer inside & out & all cases have the mouth polished with Scotchbrite to remove the smallest burrs.
    The polished surface reduces the likelyhood of crack propagation.

Ian

After cleaning, de priming & sizing I always put my cases on the trimmer. Sometimes some comes off, sometimes it doesn't but the end result is they are all the same length.
    Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    After cleaning, de priming & sizing I always put my cases on the trimmer. Sometimes some comes off, sometimes it doesn't but the end result is they are all the same length.
    Wingy
    +1