Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of Zero?

Loss of Zero?

I've had to move my scope an inch forward due to eye relief. The mounts were untouched, just slide the scope forward. I didn't have a chance to shoot the rifle again afterwards but wondering whether I would lose my zero as a result?

quite possibly depending on scope and mount tolerances

scope tubes are not a true measurement of 1" or 30mm at the tube

they tend to vary by fractions of an inch or mm

only way you will know is check it

I certainly wouldn't remove and refit a scope and shoot anything but paper to find out the hard way

I would defo check zero.

The zero might not move by much, but the chances are you may also have rotated it without realising. Best check zero to be on the safe side

agreed, the only way is to check. Zeiss scope (30mm) on talley mounts so should be rigid but you just can't tell.

Out of interest though, should the principle of moving a zero'd scope back or forth in fixed mounts impact the point of impact, all other things being equal?

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    Out of interest though, should the principle of moving a zero'd scope back or forth in fixed mounts impact the point of impact, all other things being equal?
    Yes. Your head is in a different position, so your eye is in a different position. I find it hard to envisage how you manage to move the scope by an inch, unless you have removed or changed the butt pad. I recommend you get some further training on how to hold your rifle consistently in field shooting positions before you pursue any live quarry.

Regards

JCS

Will do. the recoil, albeit light on the 243, caused the eyepiece to hit my forehead , when on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Yes. Your head is in a different position, so your eye is in a different position. I find it hard to envisage how you manage to move the scope by an inch, unless you have removed or changed the butt pad. I recommend you get some further training on how to hold your rifle consistently in field shooting positions before you pursue any live quarry.

Regards

JCS

Also the erector tube in the scope may not be centred which could change the alignment with the barrel slightly

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    Will do. the recoil, albeit light on the 243, caused the eyepiece to hit my forehead , when on the range.
    Ouch. I've had some very good one-to-one training from IanF on here - Training - Farrington Deer Services Regards JCS