Thread: Wild Boar Rug?

Wild Boar Rug?

Hi,

As some of you may have already read in the forum, I recently shot my first boar

I am thinking about keeping the skin to make a small rug, has anyone done anything like this before, any advice on how to go about it would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
    Jonathan

Try searching for diesel tanning, I am sure i replied to a thread about home tanning.

I think I'm going to have to give this a go myself sometime, it sounds really simple! It would be lovely to have some nice Deer skins around the place and I'm sure I have some friends who wouldn't say no either!

Congratulations on your first Boar. It's something I hope to do too in the next year or two.

Thanks everyone,

Definitely going to try this diesel tanning in the near future, it sounds easy enough!

Jonathan

I'm going to have a go this weekend: anyone have any recommendations on where to buy large quantities of Bicarbonate of Soda? Or do I just buy lots of small pots from the supermarket?

Hi Mat
    Bicarb is used by fish & chip fryers to make batter, have a word with your local 'chippie' and ask where he gets his sundries, flour, paper etc.
    Where do you live ? (pm me if you wish)

Brianm

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    I'm going to have a go this weekend: anyone have any recommendations on where to buy large quantities of Bicarbonate of Soda? Or do I just buy lots of small pots from the supermarket?
    You dont need large quantities only enough to make the consistency of salad cream. 1 jam jar will do loads of skins.

Bicarb is normally available from your local Chemist. Thats where I brought mine. For what it's worth I've tried the diesel system. Not impressed. It does not produce leather, but does prevent the skin rotting, just don't let it get wet!

Well, I ended up buying 8x200g, so it might last a while!