Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing a shotgun in a student house?

Regular Poster

Storing a shotgun in a student house?

Hi all,
    Due to it making economic sense, my father will be purchasing a student house for my use in Manchester for next year. As such this presents the opportunity for me to potentially have my shotgun up with me. Now, ordinarily this wouldn't be an issue, I shoot with the university team twice a month, and do competitions regularly, so I have the requisite good reason. However, I have already got a certificate held with west mercia for my guns currently, and obviously I want to retain this. This leads me to the question; does anyone currently hold certificates with multiple licensing authorities? What is the procedure? Do I just apply with GMP as a new applicant, or should i notify them that I already have a cert with W. Mercia? Does anyone know where I stand legally with registering my clay gun with 2 authorities or of any issue with having guns at what is effectively my term time address (although as i also shoot clays at home, the gun is likely to come home with me instead of being left) or in a shared house with non certificate holding friends?
    My current thoughts are that there shouldn't be an issue with sharing the house, as it is just the same as having guns in a house where you live with a girlfriend or family members, and that the fact that I only live there for 30 odd weeks of the year is no different than granting a cert to someone who works offshore or abroad, but as for the other questions, I have no idea.
    Thoughts?
    Alistair

if the student house is your full time address then your certificate switches to the new authority and your old certificate gets superseded.

i think that the police would take a dim view of storing a shotgun in a HMO personally.

Hasn't the university got a safe or is there a nearby club who can store your shotgun?

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    if the student house is your full time address then your certificate switches to the new authority and your old certificate gets superseded.

i think that the police would take a dim view of storing a shotgun in a HMO personally.

Hasn't the university got a safe or is there a nearby club who can store your shotgun?
    The club was only started last year and is student run, so no one at the university (with the exception of myself and one other student club member) has a certificate and there is no university gun safe. I did think initially about storing the gun at the clay ground, but they want silly money and I can't really budget for it at the moment.

The issue with having my cert exclusively at that address is that I then have the issue of what to do with my guns over the holidays when I want to shoot at home.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    That's certainly correct, and GMP are in my experience a jolly good FLD. There's no question of holding a SGC in two authorites - it don't happen. Either way, you're going to be away from 'home' for a fair slice of the year - it just depends on where your permanent address is going to be.

I'm not sure they'd take a dim view of multiple occupancy per se - it would be no worse than my position if I took in lodgers, for example.

On the other hand, student houses are often not the most secure, nor in the most salubrious areas.

Therefore in your position, whether I kept my old cert and the parental home as my address or 'moved' to the Manc address as far as the FLD goes, I would consider the following:
    1. Picking only sound and sober co-habitants who are unlikely to blab about their landlord packing heat.
    2. Picking the best, most secure room (obviously) and putting a decent door and lock on it.
    3. Consider the security of the whole house, perhaps with a burglar alarm

Even if you don't keep the gun permanently at your Manc address, it would be probably be best to fit a cabinet so that you fulfil beyond reproach the condition to keep the gun secure when it's away from 'home'.
    Last edited by Dalua; 11-12-2014 at 19:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    The club was only started last year and is student run, so no one at the university (with the exception of myself and one other student club member) has a certificate and there is no university gun safe. I did think initially about storing the gun at the clay ground, but they want silly money and I can't really budget for it at the moment.

The issue with having my cert exclusively at that address is that I then have the issue of what to do with my guns over the holidays when I want to shoot at home.
    i think you should keep your main address as your parents address and you keep your current certificate but the gun is stored in a club near your university.

That way you dont have the hassle of changing authorities and they shouldn't have to worry about security.

you need to speak with your FAO or BASC to see how you stand legally.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    That's certainly correct, and GMP are in my experience a jolly good FLD. There's no question of holding a SGC in two authorites - it don't happen. Either way, you're going to be away from 'home' for a fair slice of the year - it just depends on where your permanent address is going to be.

I'm not sure they'd take a dim view of multiple occupancy per se - it would be no worse than my position if I took in lodgers, for example.

On the other hand, student houses are often not the most secure, nor in the most salubrious areas.

Therefore in your position, whether I kept my old cert and the parental home as my address or 'moved' to the Manc address as far as the FLD goes, I would consider the following:
    1. Picking only sound and sober co-habitants who are unlikely to blab about their landlord packing heat.
    2. Picking the best, most secure room (obviously) and putting a decent door and lock on it.
    3. Consider the security of the whole house, perhaps with a burglar alarm

Even if you don't keep the gun permanently ay your Manc address, it would be probably be best to fit a cabinet so that you fulfil beyond reproach the condition to keep the gun secure when it's away from 'home'.
    Good point, thanks. I had considered a burgler alarm, and luckily I have sorted out sharing with friends whom I have known and lived with for 18 months now, and trust. I suppose an option may be to change my address to Manchester and then 'lend' the gun to my father who has a certificate for holiday periods and ensure that I have access to it year round that way? I believe that that is provided for in the legislation, although I will probably have to check...

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Good point, thanks. I had considered a burgler alarm, and luckily I have sorted out sharing with friends whom I have known and lived with for 18 months now, and trust. I suppose an option may be to change my address to Manchester and then 'lend' the gun to my father who has a certificate for holiday periods and ensure that I have access to it year round that way? I believe that that is provided for in the legislation, although I will probably have to check...
    Under the circumstances you describe, I can't see that a FLD should object to you holding the gun at your Manc address. You could always give Manc FLD a call, I suppose?

You wouldn't need to 'lend' the gun to your father - I think the 'lend' only lasts 72hrs anyway. You'd simply store your guns at the parental home in the cabinet as at present, thus fulfilling your obligation to prevent unauthorised access when away from your SGC 'home'.

If you share a cabinet at the parental home, you'd just get your father's guns put on your SGC, and yours on his. Straightforward.

I'd speak to your issuing authority first and be guided by what they say.

However in light of the fact that you'll probably only be there in term time and it is for a finite period, albeit three years (or whatever) then I would lean towards keeping your certificate as it is. But because it is being kept at your student house for a significant amount of time, I'd put in place the same level of security as you would at home (a cabinet and good house/room security). The FLO for your home area might want to have your security arrangements to be checked there, much as they do for your home address.

Former Uni clay club president here (although we are talking 90's here )

Club guns were kept at the students union in a large safe and the manager of the students union had a shotgun certificate with those guns on. Students temporarily bringing their own guns used this safe (72 hour rule)

Otherwise they had to have their own safe fitted in their house (landlords consent potentially required for structural bolts etc) and their certificate had to be formally moved to the local police force area same as if they had moved house.

In practice they could keep their certificate at their parent's address if their gun remained there but if they were living away from home for large periods of time and taking their gun away and storing in university facilities then it had to be entered onto the student union's certificate (with the agreement of their home police force) or transferred totally.

I shared a student house with other shooting students and we shared a gun safe and each of us had our shotgun certificates transferred to the local police force and each of us had to have all our shotguns added to our certificates because we all had access to them.

hope this helps

Alex

In my student house I used to keep a 22 rifle, a 308 rifle, a 22 pistol, a 9mm glock and a 357 mag revolver. My flatmate had a 357 revolver and a 40 S&W auto as well as a WWII Mauser broomhandle. Not your average student flat I suppose. All we did was to fit a cabinet and inform the local FLO that we would be visiting regularly and had installed security. We had the cabinet checked and cleared so all was above board. Best to be absolutely transparent in my opinion