Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Cr@p!

Holy Cr@p!

Evening Chaps,

I was just poking around on the web due to bored an i found a gunsmiths in the states called quarter minute magnums,they make some nice stuff with plenty o' pictures on the webpage.

Anyways....

Is this for real?!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page7mmrsaum017.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	1,022.8 KB 
ID:	50276
    Most people i know would be chuffed if they shot that at 100 yds!

Joe

So we might snipe the odd fallow from the top to bottom of the Greensand Ridge and still deploy neck shots!

Just joshing.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Neck shots? With results like that you could pick which eye you wanted to hit!

Excellent target results, but 400 yards is not what I consider stalking.

David

http://internationalbenchrest.com/re...roup/index.php

You judge if it is for real, the problem being that I don't think there are any 400 yard benchrest competitions but you'll get the idea.

If it is truthfully a 400 yard group then my bet is it was a one off and he stopped after 3 shots because he knew if he went to 5 shots then the group would be 2 inches, or 3 inches or...

There are people elsewhere on the internet who claim to shoot groups "all day long" that they would discover, looking at benchrest results, are world record breaking and they are sometimes shot from field positions using stalking rifles.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    http://internationalbenchrest.com/re...roup/index.php

You judge if it is for real, the problem being that I don't think there are any 400 yard benchrest competitions but you'll get the idea.

If it is truthfully a 400 yard group then my bet is it was a one off and he stopped after 3 shots because he knew if he went to 5 shots then the group would be 2 inches, or 3 inches or...

There are people elsewhere on the internet who claim to shoot groups "all day long" that they would discover, looking at benchrest results, are world record breaking and they are sometimes shot from field positions using stalking rifles.
    nah, he just got tired walking back and forth to check the bullet placement and needed a drink after 2400yds back and forth !

Damn caorach!! i had no idea people where shooting groups like that, 10 shots into 0.3495 at 300 yards, good grief!!!

This is another from the same guy at 200yds http://www.quarterminutemagnums.com/...mmrsaum016.jpg

I know rifles can be made to super tight tolerances and so on and shooters can become real consistent, id just never considered that peeps would be shooting like that!

looking at that records sheet i see some date back aways to, back to 1957!

i don't see why it isn't the 6mmbr record for 600 is sub inch and thats a 7mm at 400.plenty of guys out there capable of that kind of accuracy.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Well I shot in a 6 mm for a mate a few years ago and it went to bisley the next day,and shot a 40 mm 5 shot group with a guy interested in buying it,

That was done at 600 yards, not bad the day after it was shot in,

Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

One group is one group. It's as valid as a 3 shot chronograph strip.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerjoe View Post
    Damn caorach!! i had no idea people where shooting groups like that, 10 shots into 0.3495 at 300 yards, good grief!!!
    Bear in mind, as Muir has said, that this is one group in a lifetime using a bench rest and all the gear that comes with that. My bet is this guy was shooting hundreds of rounds a week in practice and might have been doing that for 30 or 40 years just to get that one group. Also I suspect that record groups are often shot on that one perfect day when all the conditions just come good and this is why the records are sometimes quite old, despite the internet adding a lot of mumbo-jumbo to the shooting and reloading process, as such a day doesn't come around very often.

Someone on this forum (stag1933 maybe) said that when shooting a target you should put a sheet of paper up behind it and you should use this same sheet of paper every time you shoot. Eventually, after hundreds or thousands of rounds, this sheet of paper will have a hole in it that will show you the true size of groups you can shoot. I'm not a great shot at all but even I have had a few groups, including some 10 shot groups, that were really quite remarkable and if I showed them to you then you might conclude that I was some sort of expert. Truth is I just got lucky, truth also is that if I shot every day for the next 10 years I probably couldn't repeat it.

Most stalkers using a stalking rifle from field positions can reliably shoot into a 3 - 4 inch circle. If you think you can consistently do better then search out the "black dot of doom" threads from the past few years and go give it a try. It is good fun, and useful, and I think the key factor in shooting live game is knowing your limitations rather than knowing that you once shot a tiny group, 10 years ago, and now believe that this is the size of group you can reliably shoot.

So, now we need to ask if that image at the top of the thread shows a really good rifle and an excellent marksman or is just a lucky 3 shot group that anyone could shoot if they tried often enough? Quarter Minute Magnums need to get themselves out there and do the "black dot of doom" a few times :-)
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/