Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The madness of species re-intrductions

The madness of species re-intrductions

It seems the fate of the beavers in Knapdale and elsewhere is being considered. I'm not a betting man but I bet they'll be kept, the folk who come up with these ideas won't take no for an answer. Defra want them out but Friends of the earth want them in. We'll see who wins, place your bets.

I'm no zoologist but it seems to me that these critters are very like coypu, at least in their anti-social habits re the modern agricultural world.
    We spent a fortune getting rid of coypu and now we are welcoming in a critter that will do much the same if not more damage.
    Seems pretty nuts to me.

I like the bbc Scotland "out of doors" program but recently Euan McIlwraith said in the program, "re-introducing a native species, got to be a good idea hasn't it".
    Err...why?...seems a pretty facile comment to me.
    The thing is, he had just been talking to a farmer who had his fields flooded due to beavers undermining a flood bank, causing 5000 worth of flood damage.
    Also, it seems they can carry a nasty disease in the form of tapeworms which can be transmitted to humans. Switzerland has 30-40 cases a year of human infection.

The bunny huggers want to indulge their fantasies and want others to pay.
    Last edited by private fraser; 12-12-2014 at 15:10.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Wonder how long before they get on to the AOLQ listing

Ed

Like Buzzards you mean?

I am sure that for some (SNH) playing with there Beavers up north might be there idea of heaven. But its a drain on resources we don't have and a real worry to farmers. Keep them out I say and if you want to play with Beaver do it discretely in your own home.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    I am sure that for some (SNH) playing with there Beavers up north might be there idea of heaven. But its a drain on resources we don't have and a real worry to farmers. Keep them out I say and if you want to play with Beaver do it discretely in your own home.
    It takes two of you to do it discretely whether you're discreet or not
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

The coypu population peaked at 200,000 in the 1960's and it took two "campaigns" to get rid of them.
    I used to live in Norfolk and saw a couple of dead ones in the back of a control guy's pick up. I couldn't believe the size of the bu$$ers.

You can imagine the stooshie if a cull gets mentioned,it'd be worse than badgers, give Brian May another cause.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

It is a huge concern that the nut jobs who come up with these ideas seem, currently, to be in control and to be able to act as they wish with no chance of a challenge to their dominance. While we all have "pet projects" that annoy us the rural community should be getting together to come up with a strategic plan for getting idiots with a qualification in "messing about in the countryside" moved right out of the countryside. I've always maintained that any re-introduction which seems like a good idea to these people should have a trial period of 5 years in the parks in central London. If that system was introduced it wouldn't be long until you'd be seeing the downsides represented in the media, especially once little Rupert got eaten by a wolf while his nanny was distracted fighting off a beaver with a rolled up copy of the Guardian.

My own "pet project" is the current re-introduction of the white tailed sea eagles which are being released in, comparatively, huge numbers and are having a significant impact upon the golden eagles. Of course the bunny hugging nut jobs are full of glee at the release programme because of the money it brings in for them as people donate to "save the sea eagle" and it is win-win as once golden eagle numbers start to fall they can blame that on "climate change" or "gamekeepers" or "gas guzzling 4X4s" and start making money off the back of that as well. The truth is that, in strategic terms, if you are an "animal welfare" charity then the rarer, more under pressure, more disrupted and more threatened animals become then they more money you make so it is simply good business sense to do something with one species that endangers another because that means more money, more profit and more wages. It is a self sustaining business model and the main victims are the animals and the countryside.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Also, it seems they can carry a nasty disease in the form of tapeworms which can be transmitted to humans. Switzerland has 30-40 cases a year of human infection.

This is Echinococcus multilocularis, indeed a nasty infection. However these beavers were sourced from Norway and screened so haven't got it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyEddie View Post
    Wonder how long before they get on to the AOLQ listing

Ed
    beaver hunting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also good to eat, be careful with the cooking though, over heating could make the a bit fishy tasting .