Thread: Optics question

Optics question

I've recently been experiencing difficulties focussing through a couple of my scopes. Both are Simmons...one's a 6 x 40 Prohunter, and the other's a 3.5-10 x 50 Whitetail classic. I've not had them long, but I now can't get a crisp sight picture i had to adjust the ocular housing to get a focus on both reticles (Truplex) but I know I didn't break the seal so the body is still nitrogen-filled.

The weird thing is I can still see a great sight picture through my Walther 6 x 42. If I use OHs glasses the focus is perfect.........Think it's the scopes? Or my eyesight? Any ideas?

Time for a checkup anyway, I reckon

Just answered my own question.............had a mess about figuring I had nothing to lose & discovered the ocular housings were needing WAY more adjustment than I'd thought. Anyoe else experienced anything like this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Just answered my own question.............had a mess about figuring I had nothing to lose & discovered the ocular housings were needing WAY more adjustment than I'd thought. Anyoe else experienced anything like this before?
    Two things spring to mind.

If you are used to DSL camera or binocular eyepiece diopter adjustments which are only a few degrees of rotation, then the fine thread and relatively huge number of turns available on a 'scope could be a surprise.

The other thing is that our eyes automatically make the most of what is available as far as light and focus is concerned. I found you have to keep taking your eyes away and then taking a fresh look to double check you have the focus set correctly. Also counting the turns between the extremes of out of focus and divide by two can help.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 12-12-2014 at 16:04.

Thanks Alan. I have to admit I was really surprised at just how much adjustment was needed. I zeroed both scopes last week & thought the weird focus was just down to my eyes being tired. Guess they were automatically compensating though, as you say

When reading the instructions for my Zeiss (I actually read them first rather than ignore them in true manly fashion) they sayou should look and focus on something in the far distance then quickly look through the scope and all should look good, if no keep adjusting. Your eyes will adjust when looking through the scope and compensate so that's why you focus on something far away and then quickly look through the scope to check focus.