Shooting off truck roofs

Ok. I can't say this is a problem I have really encountered. I really doubt flex in the roof is the issue.

I use a Harris bipod with swivel off the truck roof which allows me to cant my rifle back to the perpendicular. I wonder if the inaccuracy is because of an odd angle and cheek weld?

I have historically shot off a 2x2 cable tied from roof bar to roof bar which offers a firm rest full width over the cab.

its the bipod slipping as already said which is the problem i get the same thing off a friends hilux bonnet when i done a lot of lamping from truck roofs i used a hesian sand bag filled with hay with the rifle led down it length ways and when shots were taken i used to put my left hand under the stock clenched into a fist and sqweezing or releasing for hight the sack was cheap lightweight easily moved across the roof to get into position and also allows you to drive around with the rifle in position safely (as long as you hold on to it) unlike a bipod on its own which will cause the rifle to rock from leg to leg on any little bump causing a right racket

Here you go this is what you need.

Now the 2.8 is far superior to the 3.2 as the 2.8 moon roof is spot on position wise, where as they put it too far forward on the 3.2 but it still works very effectively. Bipod front and window bag at the rear. Steady as you like.

http://s627.photobucket.com/user/te...8-4BD9-9269-5632E82B8CCC_zpsob8tfnan.jpg.html[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://s627.photobucket.com/user/te...5-447E-B654-C2494BA3D5C0_zpsan159vdf.jpg.html[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://s627.photobucket.com/user/te...1-427B-9648-1FB8DC20D2B8_zps8taoyblu.jpg.html[/COLOR]

If I am ammo testing off the roof I use a carpet type matt from the footwell for the bipod to rest on

find an old rubber truck mat and a large bean bag and a rear bag if pos cuts the wobble down a bit, but practice is key zero and shoot off your truck it will become better in the end .

I expect we shot in excess of 75% of our foxs are shot off the roof, do so because of stable position and round going into the ground. From the vitara either open back door i.e. when waiting out or if driving sit stradled over rear spare wheel. OK sounds weird but surprisingly stable. You must use a swivel bipod.

Off the Land cruiser stand on rear bumper or if we are out for a long time, custom made step which fits on tow bar. If we have lots of time drop down the back 1/2 door and stand on that. In some situations, prone off roof, feet on bonnet. My roof now bit tatty and am considering a bit of 1' marine ply on suction feet stuck on roof to rest bipod on.

Must say tend to zero rifle off roof so pretty happy with the outcome.

D

I used to zero off the bonnet of my Grand Vit 3 door using a tilting Harris but the bounce/angle of the bonnet/wing digging into my ribs didn't always give consistent results. Then I started zeroing off the roof with the tailgate open standing on the rear bumper and the dip in that for the spare wheel (short-arse me :lol:) made it a lot more comfortable .. and with better results. I now zero off a big top Workmate and a camping stool.

On the roof I just use a footwell mat under the 'pod, holding onto the leg of that with my left hand to steady it. If the Dog Gone Good window bag is in the motor I use that to support the rear of the stock.

There's still a bit of give in the roof but not as bad as the bonnet and I often use the GV as a mobile high seat just to park up and lie in wait for charlie to appear.......more success after dark obviously but occasionally when it's still light. Never worried about, or noticed any dodgy accuracy. The other bonus is being able to move about or have a pee without having to get down out of a high seat. :p Bliss.

As Cyres, I've also gone prone shooting backwards........and standing on a back wheel shooting across the roof. Very obliging foxes round here that sit and wonder WTF you're up to trying to get a bead on them, works better when you're not skylined. :rofl: Not yet tried straddling the spare. :eek:

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

Last edited:
I made the mistake of shooting the 338 off my roof, the Sako bipod has teeth, it left two gouges 8" long down to metal with some pretty nasty dents too. I have some 1" thick high density foam strapped to the roof now.

Straddling the spare works well :)

Shooting from a vehicle is a cultural tradition down here. The majority of shooting (not hunting) would be spotlighting off the back of a ute. It is so common & such an important part of rural life that most properties will have at least one old or unregistered vehicle as a dedicated "shooting rig". There are some pretty creative alterations to these "franken-utes" & some folks do take it to the extreem to outdo their mates by adding every comfort or gizmo imaginable.

Our entire commercial kangaroo harvest (the largest wildlife harvest in the world) involves shooting from a vehicle without any animal welfare issues. Commercial shooters usually work by themselves so shoot out of the cab from the drivers seat. They normally have a rest attached to the drivers door, but the old land cruisers with the windscreen that folds forward is still a popular shooting platform for obvious reasons. Recreational shooters generally stand on the back tray & shoot off the cab roof, communication between the light, the shooter & the driver is usually through "tapping" on the roof of the cab. This code is simple, faster & safer than a voice.

Now that Toyota is killing off the 70 series Land Cruiser in Aust, we may however see a cultural shift. There should still be enough about though that will without doubt retire to be unregistered shooting rigs on farms all over the country that hopefully everyone should still have the opportunity to go spotlighting off one of these icons.

I don't know if you guys had the latest 4.5 L, v8 turbo diesel, 79 model Land Cruiser? Boy, are they good trucks & we'll miss them.

Sharkey

Last edited:
Have shot off bonnets and roofs never had a problem may be an idea to dry fire your rifle and see if you can find what it is your getting wrong (standing kneeling sitting laying are all different disciplines ) same as shooting off a bonnet or roof some are easer to master than others it is more than likely to be posture or gripping or holding your rifle slightly different each time which would explain being a bit on off go back to basics

Back