Shooting off truck roofs

Oddjob

Just thought I would ask some advice from you knowledgeable blokes, recently I've had cause to shoot from the top of my truck (truck on rough or soggy ground, perhaps tilting slightly etc) and I cant say ive been completely happy with the outcome of every shot. Some times my shots have been spot on and others have missed my target altogether. Now im not the sort of bloke who looks at blaming anything he can to make an excuse for a lousy shot, I will readily admit pulling a shot etc if that is what I thought I have done.
Anyway getting to the point, I went down our range and did some practice from the truck roof at about 120-130 meters. The result was not impressive, I had achieved a roughly 2 inch group with a flyer out about 3 inches from the mpi.
Wondering why,, other than the possibility of me being a lousy shot of course, I considered the flexibility of the roof and its reflex type movement at the point of detonation, a possible source of inaccuracy.

So having nothing else to create a suitable stand I folded my smock and rested the bipod on it to shoot another group, the result was a tighter group and no flyers.
My question is, what are your views on shooting from truck roofs with a bipod? Can the flexibility promote inaccuracy or do I just need to get out more? Can the flexibility of the roof create a flyer. Im thinking yes, but not keen on making excuses up for myself.
Views and advice greatly appreciated.
All the best
Al

I think the feet of the bipod, even if rubber coated, can slip a bit on the smooth surface of the truck bodywork. Particularly if you tense up slightly as you take the shot.
That's my thought anyway, although admittedly based on minimal experience.

Try some of the none slip matting you can get in pound land sticks to the truck and the bipod won't slip on it

Truck roof to flexible for bipod, to much bounce, try using a bag to support rifle or build solid rest on roof.

As disco Pete says Too flexible and slippy , I have a bag that I fit to my bipod when it's folded for those shots

To get consistent results from a bipod it is best to preload the bipod by pushing the muzzle ahead slightly in prone. Also best not to have it on a hard surface. The roof of a truck would make it difficult to manage this. Also there may be some flex in the roof as well as the vehicle would move on its suspension slightly if it was windy. As has been said try resting on a bag.

Thanks for your views gents, I thought it might be the case and your views seem to back that up. I guess a rubber sandbag Could be the ideal roof shooting accessory- you never know what santa might surprise you with this Christmas and I have been a good lad.

Oddjob, Shooting bag is a best bet and another problem you will find is a good few indentations on your roof and bonnet which may require a little tap oot to sort as per my last vehicle being traded in and the question was asked by my friend where did all the dents come from..........needless to say bag is now sorted to go anywhere now if required.

We do probably 90% of our shooting off a truck roof and we have found just using a camping mat (shut between back doors) and pushing forward in to the bipod remove any issues even with a 300wm. The camping mat also stops you scratching the hell out of the roof and also removes the banging and crashing when trying to place the rifle on to the roof once stopped, we found that not trying to be quiet actually makes you quieter haha. :)

I picked up an Eberlestock pack mounted rifle rest that clips onto a backpack with molle strips. Now that I have tried it I am seriously thinking of getting rid of the bipod. I can carry a bit of gear and shoot from it in the field or from your truck roof or bonnet for that matter (Maybe even your hood!). Bought it directly from Eberlestock in the US.

We used to have a large pad similar to a baby cot mattress.
It was in a vinyl cover, tied on the roof with some string through the cabins doors.
We did not use a bipod.

Can I ask a daft question - why are you shooting off the roof?

Are you shooting alone - or (when you're in the back of the truck) - is someone else driving?

If you're alone why not use the drivers door mirror as a rest as some of my friends do or (as I do) put a length of 4 x 2 under the passenger seat head rest and across to the dashboard then shoot out of the passenger window (which PLEASE make sure is open first?). That is the steadiest I have found as neither the roof nor the bonnet are rigid or flat and practice,, practice & practice before pointing at anything live?

You've half answered your own question with the results when using the bag being better than the bipod so if you're being driven then get a nice front end sand bag or bean bag?

I found useing a bag on the roof was better than bypod, dut I think its more to do with body positioning, and the hieght of truck bed to roof, bypod is perfect on bonnet with bag under stock, I find you can lean onto the truck, so are really stable, cheers

Thanks for your informative replies gents, you've all given me plenty of food for thought there and several excellent solutions Cheers. Al

Truck roof to flexible for bipod, to much bounce, try using a bag to support rifle or build solid rest on roof.

As you say bounce is the issue. I find that I get variations due to bounce when shooting off different surfaces. Probably as others have suggested a shooting bag is a better option.

Back