Which snow chains?

Craggy

Can you guys give advice on snow chains for my navara.

we had to abandon stalking weekend last night near Moffat as we couldn't get onto land due to 8 inch of snow.

I've never used any before, they will be mainly used on forestry tracks, they seem to vary in price so I don't wanna get the wrong ones.

Thanks
Craggy

anything made by Weissenfels you can get a few different types for 4x4s depends on your budget, but they can take a battering if you do drive on a bit of Tarmac where's most available in shops like halfords are soft metal and Tarmac will destroy them, I had Weissenfels in germany when I worked there very reliable I brought a pair back to Britain but found they were on and off to often now I just get away with snow socks which Weissenfels make also

question guys. on a 4 wheel drive, that said, my pajero which can switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive, do I put the chains on front or rear? I suspect always front, but would be good to know!

question guys. on a 4 wheel drive, that said, my pajero which can switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive, do I put the chains on front or rear? I suspect always front, but would be good to know!
front, always good to be able to steer and stop :D

I think the recommendation is to chain the rear's , but years ago on a lorry I put one chain on the front axle to aid steering then chained the drive axle and then the trailer.
so it might make sense to put one on the front to help steering so you don't get driven straight when you try and turn , great things but as mentioned tarmac will destroy them , and if one starts to break up it act like a topper and chops anything it catches.

You have to consider that if you get stuck and you needed chains on to get there, who is going to come to your rescue? If the snow is that bad maybe you shouldn't be there

i would have the chains on the front of 4wd and the drive wheels of a 2wd

Al

Thanks for comments so far.
The use of the chains would be on forest tracks with a couple of slopes, I have all terrains on but face a mile and half hike to the caravan if I can't navigate a couple of slopes.

Thanks
craggy

Good comments above, just like leaves on a railway track you get different types of snow, just be careful you don't belly out 3tonne of pickup on wet snow they can get stuck with very little effort. The compacted trails can also turn to ice hampering access for longer than leaving untouched.

Thanks for comments so far.
The use of the chains would be on forest tracks with a couple of slopes, I have all terrains on but face a mile and half hike to the caravan if I can't navigate a couple of slopes.

Thanks
craggy

always put chains on the wheels that provide the power 4x4s should really be fitted with four but you can get away with a pair on front wheels also switch on traction control if fitted

Back