Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harkila Forester wellies?

Harkila Forester wellies?

Gents / Ladies

Any reviews on the above mentioned Harkila Forester wellies?

Thinking of the 5mm neo or leather lined ones but would like to hear from any users and have their thoughts on them please?

Particularly interested to hear if they are tight on the calf or not & what's the underfoot support like. My old chammies are wearing thin ...

Cheers
    Rb

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    Gents / Ladies

Any reviews on the above mentioned Harkila Forester wellies?

Thinking of the 5mm neo or leather lined ones but would like to hear from any users and have their thoughts on them please?

Particularly interested to hear if they are tight on the calf or not & what's the underfoot support like. My old chammies are wearing thin ...

Cheers
    Rb
    I have had the zipped, neoprene-lined Foresters for about 6 months. They are very comfy and support for the foot is very good as they actually come with two sets of insoles. They are not particularly tight in the calf, certainly compared to the Chameaus I previously had (albeit without zips) which I could barely get over my calves.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Excellent WG, thanks
    Just what I was after & good to know they won't stop the blood flow round the calfs, found Aigles to be very narrow
    Cheers

Had mine for 2 months now & they took a bit of wearing in initially, had to play around with the insoles but are now very comfortable & certainly not tight around the thighs.

Grip is very good & very very warm, I have the 5mm Neoprene version.

Cheers
    Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Thanks Chris,
    I'll get a pair ordered this weekend me thinks
    Cheers!

I prefer mine to Chamos, better ankle support. The neoprene is very warm, only problem is they twist my trousers around the bottom of my legs. Not sure what's causing it!

Harkila Foresters have been very well received in store.
    A few points to note:
    They have an H Vent system which is basically a row of tubes through the neoprene to allow more breathability. The top cuff has perforations to allow vapour to escape.
    Insoles: They come to with two insoles. The thick one is for all year and the thinner one is designed to be put back into the wellies in spring summer when you are wearing thinner socks.
    Neoprene: 5mm. Neoprene is a thermo lining and helps keep both heat and cold from transfering through from out to in and in to out. As your feet will naturally sweat, we would recommend taking the insoles out and let the whole boot slowly dry out. So in other words, take the insoles out and give them a break every now and then to get rid of any moisture build up.
    Sole System: Vibram: Excellent stability with a stabilising plate running through from the heal. Grip is very good, due to the Vibram.
    (Small aside.. Vibram gets it's name from an Italian Mountaineer called Vitalli Bramani. He asked Pirelli if they could make a sole for mountain climbers shoes back in the 30's which would grip wet rock etc and they invented a rubber composite and named it after him)...back to the boots
    Upper Rubber: 76% rubber which is good, too much rubber makes the boots very floppy.
    Aftercare: Make sure you use Rubber Care on them. This feeds the rubber and will help prevent premature perishing. We give it away free in the store with the boots as we would rather wearers got it for free, rather than not use anything.

Pro's: Excellent quality as you would expect from Harkila. Made with the wearer in mind
    Con's: Not suitable for livestock farming where you will be in manure all day, especially the side zip Foresters. Muck rots rubber and the stitching. (If you still enjoy Best in class and warm comfy feet as a livestock farmer and don't mind replacing them sooner than normal EVA boots, perfect, we have one farmer who will not wear anything else and these last him about 15 months)

Leather Lined : Harkila Upland was never put into production even though it is in the 2014 Catalogue. The alternative would be the Seeland Estate Leather.

Seeland Estate Leather: Good boots and we have sold a few pairs. The quality is excellent and very popular with those would prefer a leather lined boot. You will need to wear a thicker sock in winter as they are colder, so get a size up and buy a thin insole to act as a spacer and double it up for summer wear.

Cons with all Wellies: The curse of thorns. If you are likely to get a puncture, no matter how much you paid, a puncture happens. One customer nearly was crying when telling us about his new french wellies, which he coverted for months and finally bought a pair. First weekend out...Blackthorn trim right through the side.

I have managed to repair a pair of wellies with a cycle puncture repair kit, but eventually it started to leak again.

Leather Boots for anti-puncture and wellies for the rest.

Hope this is useful and will give you some more thoughts about which to go for.
    Andrew
    Rugged & Tough

(edit typo's, sorry there will be a few more I have missed, I am sure)
    Last edited by Rugged & Tough; 14-12-2014 at 18:04. Reason: Typos

i'v got a pair of the 5 mm jobs very comfee to foot i do like the insole that can be removed if the day gets hot, a nice walking boot so far also good grip in the mud not had cold feet yet .

Quote Originally Posted by Rugged & Tough View Post

.....Hope this is useful and will give you some more thoughts about which to go for.
    Andrew...
    Many thanks for the comprehensive reply Andrew
    I'm sure others will also appreciate your input if they read this thread
    Nice touch with the free rubber care, I noticed in a shop yesterday they were wanting 15 for it!
    Cheers

wonder if he will send me a freebee did't know they needed to be fed like leather