Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bisley today

Bisley today

I went to Bisley this morning and I have never seen so many people of my age in one area all at once
    There were couples in their sixties/seventies and some looked even older, the common denominator was, they were all fit looking and all shooters.
    There were a few 'meets' today, I have no idea what they were but nearly every car park was full and the noise was continuous.
    I got there around 10.00hrs so whatever was on, was in full swing
    I intend to use their facilities for zeroing in time, so I hope it isn't as crowded on the firing point I want, when the time comes

Forgive my ignorance as I've never used Bisley or any other formal range, but what do you need in order to shoot there. I guess it isn't as simple as booking a slot and turning up with my FAC and a box of ammo?? Can you even use expanding ammo??

You need to be an individual member to book a range, or be a member of an affiliated club and get your club secretary to book it... And then you need to be signed off as 'competent' for the class of firearm you are using (MOD requirement)

Expanding ammo is fine, just no monolithic rounds, so Barnes bullets are not allowed
    Last edited by Mat; 10-03-2010 at 16:28.

Expanding ammo is fine, just no monolithic rounds, so Barnes bullets are not allowed first I've heard of it
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

BASC membership satisfies the affiliated club requirement. Not too sure how you would get yourself a safe shooter card but suspect the Range Office staff could help.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Expanding ammo is fine, just no monolithic rounds, so Barnes bullets are not allowed first I've heard of it
    He's right. Also expanding ammo can technically only be used for zeroing

Bisley and the old foggies who run it have been a joke for decades while I miss the old look of the place it's history and the longer distances it provided the last few years I shot there it was almost solely on Short Sibera or the Running deer range.

The Running deer range would be delilect if it was not for the stalwarts who run the BSRC as the NRA have done nothing except put things in the way for it. The covered firing points at Short Siberia were also nothing to do with the NRA and neither were the benches found on it. Just like the "Time Limit" range was left to fall into disrepair by the NRA and has now been saved by the BSRC. We the sporting shooter along with the usual recreational shooter and the Vintage and Military rifle shooter are nothing to the NRA council who worship the single shot target shooter who does not keep Bisley open. They are not seen from about October through to May.

The NRA will never support the normal shooting fraternity just has been shown in the past over SLR's, Pistols and expanding ammunition and as for this joke:-

And then you need to be signed off as 'competent' for the class of firearm you are using (MOD requirement)
    The most dangerous and incompetant ones on the firing point in my experience are the very ones the NRA caouncil idolise. Namely the serious single shot target shooters .

Luckily I only visit Bisley now for the Arms fairs so don't have to deal with the NRA and it's BS (unless one should dare to wear and old DPM jacket Not on you know shows the wrong image old Boy!) mind you it makes me want to weep every time I see that clay layout and I think of our beloved Shorts gone for it .

Phew, some rants on there then
    I don't know what category I fall into then I only want it to check zero of my various rifles with different bullet weights without moderators before foreign trips or the odd reload checks with moderator

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Phew, some rants on there then
    I don't know what category I fall into then I only want it to check zero of my various rifles with different bullet weights without moderators before foreign trips or the odd reload checks with moderator
    All I can say is good luck to you with Bisley as it is now .

Of course a lot of our sporting ammunition exceeds the range limit specs on Bisley. Remember nothing faster than 3250 fps. There is a list of the prohibited calibres............... which should also read chamberings or cartridges. I had to sell my 22-250 years ago as it was not allowed to be shot on the Bisley complex ............. too fast you know. 220 Swift forget it . Of course a lot of .243 Win ammo exceeds Bisleys limits as does the lighter .270 win loadings. We won't mention the WSM's etc .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Bisley and the old foggies who run it have been a joke for decades while I miss the old look of the place it's history and the longer distances it provided the last few years I shot there it was almost solely on Short Sibera or the Running deer range.

The Running deer range would be delilect if it was not for the stalwarts who run the BSRC as the NRA have done nothing except put things in the way for it.

:.
    Well, my claim to fame. Provided it is same one. The original running boar at Bisley was buily by me aided by a team of Gurkas. That was neigh on 40 years ago. The sleepers the tracks were mounted on were 8' cut in half by a team of Gurkas with my old bushman saw. I levelled the ground with an old drott with 4in1 bucket. i was also part of the team that rebuilt the backstops. We were fed and watered in Pirbright guards mess and naafi. They did not like this mob of scruffy engineers from 66Plant messing up their patch.
    Jim