Round Nosed Bullets.

Uncle Norm

Is anyone aware of a manufacturer(s) who currently makes round nosed rifle bullets for home-loading ? By that I mean round nosed, soft point, straight sides, flat based and available in the UK ?
In 6mm and 6.5mm particularly and suitable for use on deer.

Hornady do a RN 100gr in .243/6mm
I used them
loved them

certainly gave a real punch, whether or not in my mind I can't be sure!

look very menacing!

Some of the RN bullets are still in catalogs, but not being made in this "shortage", where all production is on the biggest selling part numbers. Hornady makes a RN .308 in 150 and 180, and 200. 7mm in 140 ( 154 is discontinued, sadly ), .257 in 117 RN, .303 in 180-gr. Speer and Sierra still offer some RN in 7mm and 8mm, and heavier bullets in .308.

I bought 6,5x55 Hornady 160 grain round nose from Sportsman in Exeter recently. Seemed to be plenty there at £39.40 (?) per 100.

My kind of round nose bullets....~Muir
8x5760Mforehandrest.jpg%7E320x480

A great round nose, 450grs of round nose...

SS

Attachments

• Round Nose.jpg
    Round Nose.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 20
Yes, all marketing is about high BC, ballistics charts out to 500 yards, when most hunters are actually making clean kills at 150 yards or less. The round nose bullets, with their better angular momentum, stabilize quickly and easily, and usually quite accurate. They tend to open up well on all kinds of game, retain more weight, and penetrate in a straighter line, right to the vitals which well in the sight picture when the shot went off. Never mind all that, nor the mountains of game which made the reputation of the 7x57, .30-30, the 6.5x54 Mannlicher, the .257 Roberts, the .303 Enfield, the .30-06, .375 H&H, and the big .400 African rifles - all on RN bullets. Marketing wants to give us some reason to buy new, and part of that is bashing the old and proven.

I don't think Hornady make the 100gr RN .243 pills anymore.

Geco load heavy-for-cal RN bullets, and they seem to be available on German sites.

I have some Norma 6.5 156 RN very accurate in both my 6.5x55 and .264 Win Mag also the Lapua 156 Mega are very good. Robert.

I've used RNSP bullets in both .308 and .303. In the 308 I didn't really notice much difference between those and ordinary SP bullets, both killed deer very dead and both were just as accurate. I can't remember if these were Sierra or Speer.
In the 303, though, the Hornady 174grn RNSP seemed to drop animals like lightning and produce good sized exits that bled A LOT. The only pointed bullets I've tried in 303 that rival the Hornady RNSP are the old Norma 150 and 130grn SP's, and they are sadly no longer made.

Back