Thread: Myxamatosis

Myxamatosis

Apologies for bringing a rabbit topic to a stalking forum,but how long does it take for a population to recover after an outbreak. It's an island population and has been free of the disease for many years until 2 1/2 years ago(just as my ticket came through)and they are still a rare sight. Any rabbit disease experts out there? Thanks

I haven't seen a heavy outbreak of myxomatosis in this area (Perthshire) for a few years now. We get the odd few but I'm led to believe resistance is hereditary & the virus itself mutates. No idea how long that takes though. Your population must've been almost wiped out by the sound of it though? Rabbits are a success story and a half when it comes to repopulating an area

My rabbits seem to come back in the spring, then only a few to be seen after the summer holidays. High population triggers another mixy outbreak because it is spread by fleas.
    GH

I've also noticed harsh winters seem to increase the likelihood of an outbreak too.......must be because they spend more time in the burrows, I guess?

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Are you sure it was Myxy and not VHD? Seems odd that a population that hadn't had it for a long time suddenly went down.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Kits are resistant to VHD though, so the population wouldn't necessarily take a massive hit & would probably recover quite quickly?

Myxomatosis

The rabbits have all but disappeared in certain areas round here. I am extremely familiar with both VHD and Myxi but I and others have picked up rabbits still with grass in their mouths and apparently in good condition except they are dead! certainly not Myxi and no sign of blood at either end. I may send one of to the ministry vet for a look.
    As far as the OPs question. Much will depend on how low the population drops to, if it falls below a certain level the predation on the rabbits, the young in particular will keep the numbers at a very low level for years. We had a situation like that after a very bad bout of both the usual diseases and it's been ten years and they are just beginning to show an increase.
    Not sure what predators you have on Shetland but if there are any they will certainly delay a comeback.
    I've just read Woodsmokes post about kits immunity, certainly the kits carry immunity to Myxi for about three months, the odd disease I mentioned above kills really young rabbits just out of the nest which is rather odd.
    Last edited by old keeper; 12-12-2014 at 22:20. Reason: Second thought

The rumour is,that due to the previously large population a number of infected carcasses were brought in from France and deposited on one of the islands at which point it spread either naturally or by other means to most other islands. As the disease would have mutated,the local population has little or no resistance to it,so I imagine it's effects will be similar to when it was first introduced.
    Very interesting that the kits have temporary immunity,that explains a few things.
    Thanks very much for replies and ii sounds like I'll just have to be patient,maybe I should think about introducing some Muntjac in the meantime?

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    The rabbits have all but disappeared in certain areas round here. I am extremely familiar with both VHD and Myxi but I and others have picked up rabbits still with grass in their mouths and apparently in good condition except they are dead! certainly not Myxi and no sign of blood at either end. I may send one of to the ministry vet for a look.
    As far as the OPs question. Much will depend on how low the population drops to, if it falls below a certain level the predation on the rabbits, the young in particular will keep the numbers at a very low level for years. We had a situation like that after a very bad bout of both the usual diseases and it's been ten years and they are just beginning to show an increase.
    Not sure what predators you have on Shetland but if there are any they will certainly delay a comeback.
    I've just read Woodsmokes post about kits immunity, certainly the kits carry immunity to Myxi for about three months, the odd disease I mentioned above kills really young rabbits just out of the nest which is rather odd.

Funny that as only recently I found one exactly like that, still warm too, just looked like it had died of fright or heart attach etc. never seen it before so very odd.