Next setup

dan71

Hi guys just after some opinions. I have a .243 howa with ase mod and nikkon 3-9x50 just wondering what rifle would be my next step. I use howa for muntjac fox and roe. Next rifle will be for big deer. So would need a bigger round.

Last edited:
The list is endless, but there are plenty of .308's about and a good choice of ammo to suit. If you don't reload, I'd go with a .308.
MS
James (Jager SA) has a couple of nice ones and is now residing in Suffolk mostly.;)

Last edited:
308 is kind of what i was thinking. I dont re-load as i dont do enough shooting at the mo but when i have a bit more time i will be out lots! my flo said about 6.5x55 but as im fairly new to bigger rifles im just after info.

Have killed all the big British deer with a 243, why do you need to step up, it's called bullet placement, there again I have a 270 now and use it for everything 110ballistic tips.

308 is kind of what i was thinking. I dont re-load as i dont do enough shooting at the mo but when i have a bit more time i will be out lots! my flo said about 6.5x55 but as im fairly new to bigger rifles im just after info.

If you want a second rifle, I'd not bother with 6.5x55 and go straight to a .30cal.

The alternative is to sell the .243, and go with one rifle to do all, in which case 6.5x55mm, 7mm-08 or a .30cal would do the job. One rifle with one round will mean less to think about!

Shot placement is key. And a .243 will do the job. Its just another bit of kit to have. Its a bit like havig a 17hmr & a .22 rimmy.

Have killed all the big British deer with a 243, why do you need to step up, it's called bullet placement, there again I have a 270 now and use it for everything 110ballistic tips.

Kind of say`s it all.....
Why do people feel the need to step up to a bigger calibre?
It`s called using your common sense..

Keep the .243 and enjoy or sell it and get a 6.5 x 55 I find the 6.5 nice to shoot or atleast it's nicer than the .308

6.5 is still good for fox whereas do you really want to use a .308 as a deer and foxing gun

Im keeping the .243.

Very sensible. Get the .308 and forget what others say.
You will have a wide range of factory ammo easily sourced and at a good price.
Keep all your empties for when you start to re-load.
6.5mm and .270 heads/projectiles/missiles are often more difficult to find although everybody seems to have .30 calibre stuff.
I have been there and done it all ! [ I had to have a .270 though as it was the top calibre permitted in S Ireland for a long time.]

HWH.

It kind of depends on which way the fancy takes you. If you want to follow the pack for practical reasons buy something in .308 because as others have said ammo is everywhere, however it won't be the same brand and weight and batch number so you will still be buying a fair amount at any given time if you practise with what you shoot or punch paper for fun. So, if you don't reload and have to buy a quantity at one time you may as well have something a little different to the run of the mill crowd. 7x64, 7x57, 6.5-284 or .280 would all offer big deer capability without being too uncomfortable to practise with or appear a big step up recoil wise from .243.
I'm not into shooting what everyone else shoots so I've a 6mmPPC, 7x64 and 6.5-284 in my cabinet and when I see ammo for sale I buy some or I have dies to reload. If you plan to reload in the future why let the current situation dictate all of your future considerations when they are not insurmountable issues.

Back