Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forming .260 from .243 Brass

Forming .260 from .243 Brass

In anticipation of my new .260 that James (jagerSA) is doing for me, I bought a new set of Redding .260Rem dies.
    I had sought some advice from one of our members so didn't anticipate any problems with forming some of my Norma .243 cases into .260Rem.

I got five .243 cases that had not been touched since being last fired, cleaned, flared the mouth and lubricated the case and the inside of the neck.
    The .260 FL length die would not enter the neck without using excessive force .

So I removed the stem and looked at the expander ball. I noticed that the leading edge of the Redding expander ball has a knurled section to enable it to be tightened onto the rod that holds the de-capping pin. This knurled section was binding fiercely on the mouth of the .243 case and there was no way that it would enter and pass through to reform the neck.

Whilst I am an experienced home loader, I have never formed brass from one cartridge into another.

So it looks like Murphy's Law has struck and I have got the wrong dies for this particular job. One of our members has advised that he has no problem in reforming .243 to .260 using RCBS dies but I don't fancy the additional expense of buying another set of dies.

Perhaps I need to forget this idea and buy a hundred Lapua .260Rem cases ? Anyone got any better ideas or even some .260Rem brass for sale ?
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

I do this operation quite a bit. Some brands of die achieve this better than others, notably Lyman and Lee..... RCBS aren't good either.

You need a 'Tapered Expander Ball' which Redding do as an accessory part. Norman Clark is your man.

ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Or, you could order a Lee 7mm-08 FL die and begin with 308, running them through the 7-08 die as an intermediary step. ~Muir

That's messy, and forms a donut .... have tried it. The necks on the product are too thick too.

Here's a link .........

Tapered Size Buttons | Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Didn't think about neck turning-reaming capabilities: I kind of take such things for granted. My buddy reforms 243 to 6.5 Creedmore for the same reasons.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    That's messy, and forms a donut .... have tried it. The necks on the product are too thick too.

Here's a link .........

Tapered Size Buttons | Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment
    Thank you for this Sinistral, very helpful. I have e-mailed Redding as I have enjoyed excellent customer service from them in the past. I will also try Norman Clarke.
    I have learned something as I was not aware that tapered expander balls existed.

All you need is a 6.5mm expander mandrel. I have one to make 7mm brass from .243. It's either a Redding of a Forster product. It wasn't expensive. You could go in the other direction, neck .308 down to .260. Again, I've done that for my 7-08, and this time I use a 7mm reamer to ensure the neck walls aren't too thick. And again it's either a Redding of a Forster product. I probably bought the expander and teh reamer from Sinclair International (which is now owned by Brownells).

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    All you need is a 6.5mm expander mandrel. I have one to make 7mm brass from .243. It's either a Redding of a Forster product. It wasn't expensive. You could go in the other direction, neck .308 down to .260. Again, I've done that for my 7-08, and this time I use a 7mm reamer to ensure the neck walls aren't too thick. And again it's either a Redding of a Forster product. I probably bought the expander and teh reamer from Sinclair International (which is now owned by Brownells).

-JMS
    Thank you JMS. Is a mandrel a different item to the tapered expander ball ? If so, could you post a product reference number or similar please ?
    I have a good stock of once fired Norma and Federal .243 cases and have no experience of neck reaming, so will go .243 to .260.

Buy the lapua 260 brass and save all the messing.if you get 8 shots per case there a bargain.i would 100 percent

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Buy the lapua 260 brass and save all the messing.if you get 8 shots per case there a bargain.i would 100 percent
    Its certainly an option. I enjoy all the 'messing' though. Its part of the enjoyment of reloading. A bit like tying one's own trout flies; until you stick a hook through your finger.