Thread: Winter danger...

Winter danger...

Gents, i know 67.55% of statistics are made up but here is a factual scarey one so think first?
    95% of dogs that crash through ice survive and 95% of humans don't...

.....no ice skating for me this winter then!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    So what if you have a partner who's a bit of a dog.
    50/50???
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

More made up than the lass on the Boots war paint counter.

My current ess went through ice a few yrs back my boss stopped me stripping off on a shoot day as I was almost in luckily I had some heras fencing panels handy and I slid out on them ,I went through but only upto my waist . A most scary experience but we both survived to tell the tale the dog was 5 mins off being a goner almost hyperthermic and had stopped swimming .very hard to let yr dog die without doing something he would defo have snuffed it on this occasion but I was lucky .
    norma

I have to hold my hands up, I've done it. One shoot day the ducks were all under the overhanging trees on the large pond, mine was the only dog that was any use putting them up that day. I sent her down the left then called her back, sent her down the right then called her back. The duck were not for getting up just going back and forth from side to side. On the fourth or fith time the dog just decided to short cut and follow the ducks. She went through in the middle, about 20 yards out. We all tried throwing bricks to smash the ice but to no avail. After a minute or so the dog was giving up and I knew I was going to loose her. Despite screams and shouts from the others I was down to my boxers and in, not walking out on the ice but smashing my way through from the banking. As it was an artificially made pond from a dammed vally it was deep from the start, so it was full on swimming. I grabbed her collar and dragged her back. Then got dry on my jumper and carried on the day.
    Wingy

+1 way back i was out fowling not land locked ice but north sea ice mud and it was't even my dog !! but in the cold light you do think what if !!!!! feck it was cold and a long way back to the warm shed and dry sacks for both of us , still i got away with it she lived on with no fuss but lots don't and i had walnuts free that year ?
    now older but think i would still be silly as i was then but now i carry a life line its 60 mts of RNLI pulling rope in a small belt pack that pays out with a clip each end btw its the same rope i use to pull my pack up when in a high seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    I have to hold my hands up, I've done it. One shoot day the ducks were all under the overhanging trees on the large pond, mine was the only dog that was any use putting them up that day. I sent her down the left then called her back, sent her down the right then called her back. The duck were not for getting up just going back and forth from side to side. On the fourth or fith time the dog just decided to short cut and follow the ducks. She went through in the middle, about 20 yards out. We all tried throwing bricks to smash the ice but to no avail. After a minute or so the dog was giving up and I knew I was going to loose her. Despite screams and shouts from the others I was down to my boxers and in, not walking out on the ice but smashing my way through from the banking. As it was an artificially made pond from a dammed vally it was deep from the start, so it was full on swimming. I grabbed her collar and dragged her back. Then got dry on my jumper and carried on the day.
    Wingy