Thread: Making Fox Snares and Ground Anchors

Making Fox Snares and Ground Anchors

Alright folks.

Was just wondering if many folk make there own fox snares or anchors?

Was going to weld up some ground anchors and attach a chain on to above ground level to attach snare too. But been looking at some and might be just as easy to use snare wire on to the anchor.

Is there any top tips for making the anchors? And would i be better with either a chain or just snare wire to ground level (thought chain would be stronger and won't be damaged by a fox moving about above ground, thought a wire might become weaker are ground level) and then attach my snare with a shackle.

If i was going to buy the crimps etc if i used a wire i'd be as well just making some snares too, always just bought them in past. Where is the best place to buy the gear?
    I realise a lot will be personal preferance but wot swilels etc are best/stay clear off??

Cheers

I get all my stuff from here not had any problems.

Fourteenacre | Fox Snaring Products

Used to make mine with brake pipe cut into 5mm lengths and then crimped with a chisel. Swivels - heavy fishing jobbies or just don't bother with them

i use a 2ft piece of 1" angle iron with one end pointed the other drilled for a d shackle to this is a good quality swivel then a short length of chain with the tail of the snare securely fastened with a snare clip
    a barony original

You can make swivels fairly easily with fence wire and 4 inch wire nails

U've got me thinking now. How do u make swivels with wire and a 4" nail?
    I feel a bit of blue peter coming on here althou not sure where the sticky backed plastic or corn flakes box wll come in

Mind as a boy using a 4" nail to make the eyes in rabbit snares

Landkeeper i quite fancied these almost invisble ground amchors rather than post's so little to see and so fox cannae get tangled up in owt, esp with the new laws in scotland, its a right pita

i batter them into the ground as far as i can ,preferably flush with the ground. if it's in a regular snaring spot it can stay there permanently
    i use a single snare support about as thick as a broom handle split with the snare pulled through the split at 45 degrees then wired up tight with a wire twist above and below the snare no tealer needed this way a snared fox then has very little to get hung up on and is usually sitting or lying there upon inspection. most of my snaring these days is round sheep fenced paddocks so i try to position the anchor so that when the fox is caught it can't reach the fence or they can make a right old mess of it
    a barony original

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    U've got me thinking now. How do u make swivels with wire and a 4" nail?
    I feel a bit of blue peter coming on here althou not sure where the sticky backed plastic or corn flakes box wll come in

Mind as a boy using a 4" nail to make the eyes in rabbit snares

Landkeeper i quite fancied these almost invisble ground amchors rather than post's so little to see and so fox cannae get tangled up in owt, esp with the new laws in scotland, its a right pita
    Easier done than to explain,take a piece of fence wire and form an oval shape best formed around a wooden block exact size is not important but around four inches should be fine twist the ends around a four inch nail keep it neat
    about four turns then cut off ant excess, pour coils of wire should leave you with about an inch long part to hold your nail pass a four inch nail through from the centre of your oval wire loop the coils you have made should allow the nail to turn be tight enough not to allow the head of the nail to pass through the passage you have formed cut the nail off around two inche from the end of the fence wire coils and form a loop in it, make a second identical loop and nail this time pass the end of the nail through the loop you made I the previous nail and again close the loop, you now have a double swivel that will turn in either direction, with a wire loop at either end

Take a length of wire and in the centre ,do another four turns around a nail, this will be you tealer and you have just formed the support and fixing point for your snare , you now have two lengths of wire from where you have
    formed the snare fixing point pass one length through one of the ovals of wire at the end of the swivels you made, now twist the ends of your two pieces of wire together to finish your tealer, the twisted part will give it enough strength to be pushed firmly in to the ground.

You now have a snare and tealer attached to your swivels,now this design is intended for peg snares but could be adapted for any type of anchor, form hard wood peg or whatever drill hole in the top slightly bigger than the fence wire thickness, form a saddle of fence wire with a circle at either end just slightly taller than the hight of the peg when the circles you formed in it are in line with the hole you drilled in the peg, pass the end of the saddle through
    the fence wire oval at the end of the swivel , the opposite one to which you fixed the tealer, line the holes in the saddle up with the hole in the peg and pass a short length of wire through both forming loops in it to lock it in place , the saddle will now also swivel back and forth on the peg, you have just completed an all wire snare.

Hope you get the jist of that know it sounds complicated reading it but it's not that difficult.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 16-12-2014 at 22:43.