Favourite stalking area's?

We all have them don't we?

Mine is on the edge of Dartmoor, not the most productive, but stunning surroundings and very challenging.

But in terms of productivity i am going there tomorrow with a friend.
I got a phone call a couple of years back from a farmer saying he had 15 acres and trouble with deer.
Now i thought twice about it as it's a near 70 mile round trip, but he sounded desperate so i drove up, it was early July and as soon as we got out of the truck he said 'they are usually down there' i asked him what kind of deer and he said 'big ones!', so we made are way across the field and i couldn't believe it, a dozen red hinds lying in the sun, once i had told him the seasons etc he told me he had also got medium and small deer!
Well those equated to Fallow and Roe.
So on the 1st August i went back, and straight away nailed a nice red stag to keep him happy.
Since then there have been numerous reds, fallow and roe, in fact the generally accepted level of success in deer stalking is 1 in 3, on this place it has been more like 3 in 4!
What makes it so unique is the land is surrounded on 3 sides by a huge tract of forestry, the other side is bordered by heavily grazed sheep grass, but the 15 acres i have never has any grazing or crops, ever!
It is just kept for grass and cut twice a year, other than that it is left undisturbed, a deer stalkers dream.
The only issue is wind direction, anything from the East and it's a waste of time.
Click on the picture for video, first one i did with GoPro, i have shifted the scope cover now!

I bet i have jinxed myself in relation to tomorrow!

Cheers

Richard

70 mile round trip and you had to think twice about taking it on Richard :eek: ... What a fortunate position to find yourself in. You'll be the envy of a lot of stalkers out there.

70 mile round trip and you had to think twice about taking it on Richard :eek: ... What a fortunate position to find yourself in. You'll be the envy of a lot of stalkers out there.
Very true, i am lucky, one of my nearest permissions is less than 5 minutes away.

BTW, jinxed myself, farmer text me to say reds in the field this morning, went there this evening, just as it started to get dark a rifle shot in the woods and the sound of a bullet hitting a deer, darn it!

Cheers

Richard

I've got a few nice little places right on my doorstep but the nicest and most productive isa 60 acre farm that has two rough little fields bordered on one side by a large wood (over the boundary) and surrounded by tall hedges. The fields are no more than 3 acres each but always have either fallow or roe in them. During the rut I could hear at least three fallow bucks grunting to each other in the woods not far away, definitely sent shivers down my spine. Great place to sit and watch and when the freezer is empty almost a guarantee of a shot.

70 mile round trip, on the doorstep I'd call that! Nice productive bit of ground, lucky man!

The furthest I travel is about 12 miles round trip, don't think I even know anyone who lives a 70 mile round trip away let alone someone who'd let me shoot their ground!

sounds like a dream permission richard ,small deer cafe where they happily graze whilst waiting to go in your larder

Haha, brilliant, so nicely put :lol:

The journey aside, it does indeed look ideal Richard, especially with a success rate like that with a clearly incredibly supportive farmer to boot.

I have two permissions with a 2 in 3 success rate on the first (only 3 visits in 12-months though, as an hour and a half drive) and a frustrating 1 in 8 success rate on the other (locally and over 6-months) owing to large fields of Miscanthus it is very difficult to get the deer out of or predict where. The farmer is also very resistant to, well, almost anything really and is resistant to feeding or salt licks or the like. I still however count my blessings to have any permissions at all. I do enjoy the challenge and thrill of woodland, but think I'm much like you Richard and appreciate open fields near to forestry the most. Stunning scenery like Dartmoor or the Highlands would be all the more thrilling and my intended 50th treat in a few years time.

Back