Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugger, scope rings leaving marks on a test scope,

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

Bugger, scope rings leaving marks on a test scope,

Ok lads

What the hell can I do about these cz rings marking a test scope,

I have just got a nice zeiss of Ed Bewsher and the last thing I need is it all chibbed with these rings,

Rings are normal cz 550 steel rings no inserts so they will mark the scope to bits judging on the test done with a broken scope,

Help.

Bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Established Poster
    Lap them first...

Conetrol yourself and if that don't work, apply a goodish amount of the glue you get with a puncher repair kit and apply to each ring half and allow to cure. It will come off easily with the thumb and/or white spirit when you remove scope after test.

Of course if there is something fundamentally wrong with the rings by way of snaggy corners etc. then that won't work nor will several layers of sparks tape as it will simply cut through.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Blog Entries
    Cheers lads

I am at this time looking at making a lapping rod, and then check them for general tidiness etc,

Just not something I am used to having optilocs on all the rifles other than the 550.

Bob,
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

I have had the odd problem with a Warne ring set but could feel the 'ragged' edge with my finger before mounting them on a 'scope.
    All I did was get a bit of dowel and a bit of emery cloth, wrapped the emery cloth round the dowel and ran the rings round that.
    It showed a bright spot near the edge of the rings but a few more swivels around the emery wrapped dowel and all was sorted in minutes.
    No special tools, no special knowledge and job done.
    I bet you wish you hadn't sold that S&B 8 x 56 I let you have cheap now don't you

SD Regular
    PTFE tape Bob......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Tidy up obvious burs.
    Clean, de-grease mounts, stick a narrow strip of electrical take into the mounts. At this point you could check scope angle to the rifle via bore scoping and if needed you can beef up one of the mounts. Once you are happy with the position of the scope, remove and apply release agent to the scope. Add some epoxy resin or bedding compound onto the mounts and sit the scope into the mounts until the scope tubes just about touch the electric tape. Tape the scope in position and let the resin set. You have now cast a perfect negative copy of your scope tube into the mounts. Trim, clean up and mount your scope as normal. You scope will be held by epoxy not by metal.

edi

Blog Entries
    Many thanks lads,

Im now missed off as I ave lost one of the screws, I'll have a better look in the week as I left my magnet in the office at work,

Not sure I need to go to the apoxy route but will try thr coating it with a rubber solution .

Ed your old 8x56. Is on my best mates 270 and has seen more dear in a year than I have shot at,

Bob

I guess the most pertinent and potentially cost saving proposition is that of what are you testing (other than ability to retain zero) that cannot be determined without putting the scope anywhere near a set of mounts?? Even determining ideal eye relief does not require more than sitting a scope in the saddle.

Just a thought.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.