Thread: Hello from Hampshire

Hello from Hampshire

Hi everyone,

I just completed my DSC 1 and recently got my FAC. SO thought I would join the site so that I could get advice from people in the know.

So my next step is looking to buy a .243, whilst I've chosen the SAKO 85, bit stuck on what scope, i.e. what magnification? Should I have variable lens for example 4.5 - 10 etc? And should I have illuminated of not? interested in your thoughts

Regards

Kohana

Welcome to the site, the rifle you have chosen is a good'n, as for the scope now that is another can of worms.
    Best of luck in choosing the tastiest.
    regards
    robin

Welcome on board Kohana, good site, good people.

I have a Sako 85 and very pleased with it. As far as the scope is concerned it is very much down to your budget.
    At one end you have the Swarovski and the Schmidt & Bender's that cost hundreds if not thousands to the BSA's etc. I think most people will say spend as much as you can afford on the scope it will pay dividends in the long run. Again on the magnification whether you buy a variable or fixed most advice that was given to me when I started was 7 or 8 magnification is pretty standard.

ATB
    Les

Hi Kohana,
    Whereabouts did you sit your DSC1? I've just done mine with Reeves.
    I'm in a similar position to you and looking to get a .243 added to my FAC. My plan for a scope is to figure out my budget and then see what I can get for my money. I'm probably going to go for an 8x so I can get one of the better makes. My only concern is I might use the rifle for foxes as well in which case a higher mag would be useful. My thoughts are you might want to sell your rifle in the future, but there's no need to sell/replace the scope. Just put it on another rifle.

Hi, welcome! Where in Hampshire are you? Just out of interest why have you decided on a .243?
    Matt

Welcome from Hampshire

Thanks for the replies.

After reading all the reviews the Sako 85 seems to fair pretty well, the biggest problem is the scope, I decided on either S&B 8x56 or Leupold 3.5-10 x 50, but would welcome comments as I want to shoot both deer and foxes hence picking the .243. but looking around the 1000 mark?

Cheers

Kohana

Quote Originally Posted by cycling_caveman View Post
    Hi Kohana,
    Whereabouts did you sit your DSC1? I've just done mine with Reeves.
    I'm in a similar position to you and looking to get a .243 added to my FAC. My plan for a scope is to figure out my budget and then see what I can get for my money. I'm probably going to go for an 8x so I can get one of the better makes. My only concern is I might use the rifle for foxes as well in which case a higher mag would be useful. My thoughts are you might want to sell your rifle in the future, but there's no need to sell/replace the scope. Just put it on another rifle.

I did my DSC 1 with the BDS at Longparish under the great instruction of Jan Andrews and Chris Howard

If you have that budget you won't go wrong with the S&B.