Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick load and max loads

Quick load and max loads

Hi,
    new to quickload but beginning to see how useful it is . Have used it to change powders and get same performance from bullet.
    Want to work up load for 123gr Amax in 6.5x55 using N150 or Hunter. My question is that in my reloading manuals the maximum is 3gr below what quickload predicts dangerous pressures for both powders. As long as all the usual rules of working up slowly and looking for pressure signs would it be ok to use the quickload max? Have others been guided by quickload and found problems when above manual max load levels or conversely have others followed quickload and been fine?
    hope this all makes sense.

BE

Have you entered the h20 case capacity into quick load for your specific case you are using ?? V

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Hi,
    new to quickload but beginning to see how useful it is . Have used it to change powders and get same performance from bullet.
    Want to work up load for 123gr Amax in 6.5x55 using N150 or Hunter. My question is that in my reloading manuals the maximum is 3gr below what quickload predicts dangerous pressures for both powders. As long as all the usual rules of working up slowly and looking for pressure signs would it be ok to use the quickload max? Have others been guided by quickload and found problems when above manual max load levels or conversely have others followed quickload and been fine?
    hope this all makes sense.

BE
    Quickload is a computer model and not always 100% reliable. Why the hell would you want to even approach "dangerous pressures" in your beloved Swede. let alone seek them out? ~ Muir

Yes adjusted the h2o level for case. Dangerous pressure perhaps wrong term by me keeping pressure to 55,000. This is still below modern barrels. Load from manuals I think are still low and based on old barrels.
    Deffinately would not want to hurt my beloved swede!!

BE

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Yes adjusted the h2o level for case. Dangerous pressure perhaps wrong term by me keeping pressure to 55,000. This is still below modern barrels. Load from manuals I think are still low and based on old barrels.
    Deffinately would not want to hurt my beloved swede!!

BE
    I had a long treatise on pressure typed out but I erased it.
    You've got Quick Load. Do what you think is right.
    Good luck.~Muir

What is the purpose for this load?
    What brass? The volume?
    Why push the pressure limits?

There are so many 6.5x55 shooters here, that you should easily get a consensus ACCURATE load for a lot of rifles. Having not loaded a 123-gr Amax, nor VV N-150 powder ( mine are hunting loads ), my guess is that 38.0 to 39.5 gr should give you 2,700 to 2,800 fps at very safe pressures, and it will be an accurate load. Repeatable accuracy at safe pressures first and foremost. If you can get more velocity along with accuracy at safe pressures, that is just icing on the cake, not the cake.

Hi Southern I know we have had a similar discussion over IMR4350 in the past. The issue I have is that my rifle is a 20inch barrel and to gain anything near hunting legal energies I have to load towards the top of the pressure band. I can produce very accurate loads down the bottom of the ladder but when put over a chrono they fall short.

BE

Wasn't there a thread on faster powders for shorter barrels, or was that somewhere else?

Yep it was me who started it. This is slightly different and it is whether to follow quickload or stick to manuals for data.

I had a similar experience with VV powders and I wrote to Mr. Broemel, the author of QL. He kindly and promptly answered to be prudent with those powders, as their bulk weight may change of 15% from lot to lot. Moreover, better you check the case volume and the bullet length. Sometimes the values suggested by QL are a bit different from the real figures.