Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ran out of space whilst zeroing - Height maxed out

Ran out of space whilst zeroing - Height maxed out

Was zeroing my new set up today, and reached maximum "clicks" on the vertical.

I've heard a number of ways to lift the scope; spacers, electrical tape, foam... ... ...

Just looking for some advice and suggestions in order to make an informed decision.

Some details of your set up would help ?

Scope , mounts , rifle , base etc
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Get the mounts right first time
    dont bodge with tape, film or messing

as above
    details on rifle, mounts and scope please

Blog Entries
    Not really enough to go on.

What distance? Are you on standard rings or a weaver rail?

On a weaver it's simple to make some shims out of a coke can. Place these under the rear of the weaver rail and screw down. So the rail should be sloped from back to front.

For longer distances dropping a purpose built 20 or 30 MOA rail on helps for long distance shooting.

I have found this is often a problem if your rings are too high and place your eye line too far above the bore. Rings that only just clear the objective bell from the barrel may help.

Burris do standard mounts with offset inserts. These are very good too.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    ....Burris do standard mounts with offset inserts. These are very good too.
    +1. second item on this list - Opticswarehouse Burris Signature Zee Weaver Rifle Scope Rings Regards JCS

Check that you haven't mounted your scope rotated 90 degrees so that the vertical adjustment is in fact the horizontal one. Hey, don't laugh, people have done more stupid things than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Check that you haven't mounted your scope rotated 90 degrees so that the vertical adjustment is in fact the horizontal one. Hey, don't laugh, people have done more stupid things than that.
    Yep.
    Several years ago on Short Siberia there's a cry of "This scopes sh*t! Bloody RFD!"
    Turn around, have a look and about .0005 seconds later - "your scopes back to front"
    Happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Orvil View Post
    Yep.
    Several years ago on Short Siberia there's a cry of "This scopes sh*t! Bloody RFD!"
    Turn around, have a look and about .0005 seconds later - "your scopes back to front"
    Happens!
    It's a remy 783 (30-06) with zeiss duralyt scope. I didn't fit the bases and rings but I know there were issues sourcing the bases and it ended up two different kinds; herein may lie the issue. Rings are optilock.

only picked it up Friday; I'll drop the RFD a line tomorrow

Hi Melgalvis,
    I think you just diagnosed your problem right there. Mismatched bases will always cause the problem you described. I can't remember offhand how much adjustment the Duralyt has but I'm guessing it's around 45 minutes total? Mismatched mounts and rings also can put a tremendous amount of stress on the scope barrel too.
    FYI, the Remington M783 takes .854" bases so you shouldn't have much trouble locating a set. Warne are affordable and easy to fit.
    Good luck with it

Thanks guys. Had a chat with RFD today and think there's an (easy) solution....! (It may include installing a brain!)