Thread: One of those days....

One of those days....

Having had yesterday's plans scuppered by food poisoning, I was happy to see sunshine upon waking up this morning.

Drive to permission. 2 hours. (Not including standing like a lemon in SGC for 15 minutes waiting to be served).

Sit in the cold for a couple of hours, no sign of any wildlife, let alone deer.

Go for a quick walk into the woods to warm up a bit, only to come face to face with a Roe doe, which promptly scarpered the second I attempted to mount my rifle.

Sit in the cold for a couple more hours. Still no sign of any wildlife.

Drive home.

I think I might be doing it incorrectly!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Yep, you got out of your car!!
    Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.........Dalai Lama

Keep at it Scrooloose. Sometimes it's just nice to be out. These animals have their life on the line, I bet there was a few of them there that sensed you before you had any idea they were there. Will make it even sweeter when you get one.

All the best,

Scott

go back with a map,bobble hat n kagoole youl see loads .get your rifle out n theyl all run off

I know it's Christmas but you weren't walking about in a santa hat with a little bell on top were you, that's bound to give the game away

I went up to check the feeders on our pheasant syndicate the other day so I thought I would take along the rifle incase a doe presented itself to me.
    I got there before daylight and sat in the truck overlooking a good bit of ground where I had seen roe before.
    Just after first light there about 500 meters in front of me two does munching away at the clover.
    I watched them through the binos as they slowly made their way across the field towards me .
    I got out of the truck with my rifle and got behind some bales,a perfect place for a perfect shot should they come into range.
    However this was not to be as the wind was right behind me and after about 5 minutes their heads where up and noses twitching and they ambled back into the wood they had come from.
    Well it was good to see them and maybe get a chance another day.

Yesterdays visit to grounds having marginal conditions at best on arrival, AM stalking nothing seen, PM, we declared a washout @ 2.30, left for home nursing a badly sprained ankle, & to add insult to injury, the pub in the first village was all in darkness, still,on the bright side I have a letter in hand this morning, inviting me for interview in the new year!, so maybe ageism is not alive & well!.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

best of luck with your interview,hope it goes well

Quote Originally Posted by Scrooloose View Post
    Having had yesterday's plans scuppered by food poisoning, I was happy to see sunshine upon waking up this morning.

Drive to permission. 2 hours. (Not including standing like a lemon in SGC for 15 minutes waiting to be served).

Sit in the cold for a couple of hours, no sign of any wildlife, let alone deer.

Go for a quick walk into the woods to warm up a bit, only to come face to face with a Roe doe, which promptly scarpered the second I attempted to mount my rifle.

Sit in the cold for a couple more hours. Still no sign of any wildlife.

Drive home.

I think I might be doing it incorrectly!
    I see where you fell short there.
    Did you not try making a noise like a carrot.......... ?