Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Species & Cost

Species & Cost

Absolutely bugger all to do with stalking but the majority of us do it.

FEEDING THE BIRDS IN THE GARDEN

During an appalling winter we have been topping up our feeders every day. We run 6 of them and some days they have been totaly wiped out.

These are our regular visitors generaly on a daily basis and we have spent over 150 this winter looking after them.

Great Spotted Woodpecker, Collared Dove,Wood pigeon,Starling,House Sparrow,Dunnock,Nuthatch,Green Finch,Chaffinch,Gold Finch,Blue Tit,Great Tit,Coal Tit,Long Tailed Tit,Robin,Blackbird and Thrush.

We have also had occasional visits from Siskin and Bramblings its been a fantastic display over the winter and I just wander how this has compared with other Forum members. Worth every penny and I hope the greedy little buggers have a successful breeding season to make up for numbers which must have decreased big time.

John.

We don't get starlings, or doves, the woodies never stop for some reason we do get the others plus siskin, yellow hammer, pheasants and regular visits from sparrow hawks. We also have a pheasant feeder as well and apart from the table and feeders, my missus flings it all over the lawn.

The pheasants are being more and more romantic just now, this is one of the cock birds I think his name is fester

It's nice to see the chicks in the garden though, strange really any other pheasants are usually made oven ready as soon as possible.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Good for you, John. Just goes to show that the hunting fraternity value wildlife just as much, if not more, than those who knock us.

I have a similar list coming to my bird table although the number of cats hereabouts must surely cause the less bold to stay away. Since my dog died it seems as thought the entire local pride have decided to use the garden as a latrine, so much so that I am serioulsy considering investing in a PIR activated water jet to remind the blighters that they are not welcome.

For all the use cats are, why not make it compulsory to have them microchipped and neutered at birth, much along the lines of the recent proposal for dogs.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    ...the number of cats hereabouts must surely cause the less bold to stay away. Since my dog died it seems as thought the entire local pride have decided to use the garden as a latrine, so much so that I am serioulsy considering investing in a PIR activated water jet to remind the blighters that they are not welcome.

For all the use cats are, why not make it compulsory to have them microchipped and neutered at birth, much along the lines of the recent proposal for dogs.
    More than 50 million songbirds a year are thought to be killed by cats in Britain. Personally, and I accept this view is likely to be received with (polite) hostility by many other Forum members, that's totally unacceptable and needless carnage by an alien species. I'd like to see cat ownership banned. Think of all the warm gloves that could be made.

I will now don my tin hat before departing quietly by the back door...
    KevinF -

Your right cats are the country's biggest predator. Yet the same people who proudly boast they have five or six of the bloody things, all of whom are great hunters, moan like mad about the shortage of songbirds in their gardens, let alone the shrews and stuff. Luckily another set of regular visitors to our bird table are pine martens, and I don't think they like cats. I had trained my neighbours cats, she had five at one stage, I taught them to run home at high speed if ever I caught them in my garden. She however is a sensible woman who appreciates the fact that I do not want, nor have to put up with, cats in my garden and accepts that they will be chased off.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Drifting off topic here, but if you don't like cats, you may like this:

http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm

i would not like to add up the cost of feeding the birds in my garden this winter i also have a great variety on mine and spend time sat on the stairs watching them out of the window with one of my dogs over my shoulder watching them as well . We do get a few unwelcome guest fury things with long tails but the air rifle puts pay to these they dont last long after first sightings i now have a bloody squirrel moved in but have not caught up with it yet but i will hopefully

Just found this. Priceless!!!!

/l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

John, if you want to add some extra colour to those boring pheasant, we have got some Goldens spare, one cock and four hens (lucky fellow) I'm sure you and Sheila would love to hear his cry at first light, and the rest of the day?
    Bye the way I'm in total agreement with my father who used to say " the only good cat is a pair of gloves"
    In my area we have more cats than birds these days.

WE get the odd sparrow hawk taking the birds when they do come in or out of the feeder.

Jonathon